Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

complete security???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saurabh.khare1000

saurabh.khare1000

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

Recently i purchased a new pc. I have windows vista home premium as the operating system which provides an inbuilt firewall and windows defender. I also have avast4.8 home edition installed as the antivirus. Does this combination provide complete security for my pc. If not please suggest a better combination of free security tools.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

As long as you follow safe surfing practices you will be very unlikely to get infected. For example, make sure you only downloaded programs from trusted sources such as download.com and don't fall giving away personal details.

You could also add some free prevention software/services which does not take up much resources. I recommend OpenDNS, Firefox with WOT and Adblock Plus and AVG LinkScanner.

You should almost never get infected with all that; all you need to add would be an image and file backup program and some on-demand scanners if you want.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

That is a good start but does not really provide complete protection. I believe that you would get much better protection from a third party firewall instead of the Vista firewall and to explain that I stole the following about the Vista firewall from a post by QuietMan in another thread...

Windows Vista Firewall offers two-way filtering for better security but its the bare minimum and still limited. By default, most outbound filtering is turned off (outbound connections are allowed) and inbound filtering is turned on (inbound connections are blocked). Configuration is confusing and there is no practical way to to configure outbound filtering to stop all unwanted outbound connections. You can only turn inbound filtering on or off, and through the various tabs, configure how inbound filtering works.

A third party firewall would make it much easier to have outbound protection which is something that you need. I would also add these programs to your arsenol, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware for on demand scanners and run them occassionally and Spybot and SpywareBlaster to immunize your system. I would not use the TeaTimer function in Spybot as it often slows the system down a lot and can be a problem if you do not know for certain what it should or should not be allowed to do.

I disagree with the statement that as long as you follow safe surfing practices you will not get infected. Even safe, trusted sites that you have been to a bunch of times with no problems can get viruses as I have personally experienced. Had it not been for my antivirus program catching the viruses and stopping them, my computer would have become infected and I was not even downloading anything from that site.

While using Firefox does reduce the risks a bit, it does not eliminate them.

Edited by Stang777, 25 June 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

The MVPS website http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm recommends not to install Spywareblaster on vista.

1) the entries (over 7,000) are not updated as often as needed, and
many of the ones that do exist are no longer valid, thus creating a
huge amount of invalid Registry entries. Which Microsoft NEVER
intended that so many entries would exist there in the Registry.

2) Windows Vista does NOT allow any new ActiveX installs or
any to run without first prompting the user. (XP doesn't do that)

When Spywareblaster first came out it was and still is a good program
however as time has progressed the type of malicious installs no
longer simply use ActiveX as a method of infection.

Mike Burgess
Microsoft MVP - Internet Security

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/i...showtopic=15621

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I too use a Firewall with outbound monitoring, but I also feel that the Windows Firewall, behind a Hardware Firewall, is sufficient for the average or inexperienced user and in fact, use this setup on our other household computer.

One of the very common complaints about outbound firewalls are warning messages that are either incomprehensible, overly frequent, or don't give the average user enough information to make an informed decision. Frequently, they'll simply report a connection attempt to or from an IP address with little or no additional information. I also commonly see people asking about warnings that arise from totally legitimate processes on their machine accessing the internet for things like software updates or the current time and date. With too many errors, indecipherable messages or false positives, people tend to ignore the warnings after a while, rendering the outbound firewall ineffective.

The malware could, in fact, include additional code to actually reconfigure your firewall to let the malware's communication through. It's been done.

Is an outbound firewall needed?

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

I also feel that the Windows Firewall, behind a Hardware Firewall, is sufficient for the average or inexperienced user and in fact, use this setup on our other household computer.

One of the very common complaints about outbound firewalls are warning messages that are either incomprehensible, overly frequent, or don't give the average user enough information to make an informed decision. Frequently, they'll simply report a connection attempt to or from an IP address with little or no additional information. I also commonly see people asking about warnings that arise from totally legitimate processes on their machine accessing the internet for things like software updates or the current time and date. With too many errors, indecipherable messages or false positives, people tend to ignore the warnings after a while, rendering the outbound firewall ineffective.

The malware could, in fact, include additional code to actually reconfigure your firewall to let the malware's communication through. It's been done.

Is an outbound firewall needed?

Agreed. Personally I don't understand why outbound firewalls are recommended so much.

Edited by Someones, 25 June 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#6 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hello,
First,visit this site on a daily basis...
Go to grc.com.There you will find a detailed explanation how to protect your pc with data execution prevention-DEP
Also,if you wish they will test more than 1200 ports of your pc for vulnerability!!!
And the last-my experience how I got infected:while surfing the net,an strange info displayed saying that my pc is infected and that I need to download and clean my pc???Well.I was baffled and I clicked OK.Now,I have build in on my vista home premium-yes,the same as you-windows defender and firewall.Difender immediatelly displayed:POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS DOWNLOAD.ONLY IF YOU TRUST THE WEB SITE DOWNLOAD!!!This was critical.I didnt listen to warning,Clicked OK.And virus was inside...
Later,pc shop repaired and cleaned my pc.And installed AVG free protection.
My advice to you:newer ignore warning from your pc protection!
Visit ofte this site and learn,learn,learn :thumbsup:
With time you will become good
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#7 saurabh.khare1000

saurabh.khare1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

THANKS A LOT FREINDS !!!! :thumbsup:

#8 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

You are quite welcome! :thumbsup:
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users