Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Win Logon Question?.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

My PC's operating System is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and kept up to date using Windows Update. I use Comodo CIS v3.9 and Spywareblaster as real time protection and have SAS and MBAM used on demand as malware scanners.
I use Autoruns in conjunction with the Startup list here to keep my PC free of unneccessary programs at start-up. I noticed while scanning with Autoruns in the Winlogon section that there was an entry called SAS WINLOGON with a file name called saswinlo.dll. As I only use SAS on demand I am not sure why it should need to be attached to the Winlogon directory.
My question therefore is should it be there or is it safe to uncheck this box. Thanks in advance for any advise / help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:22 AM

Even though it isn't really loading at startup or providing realtime protection I do not believe you can undo that. Every time I unchecked it in the program I use for controlling startups, it comes right back as checked the next time I look. It is not really loading anything and it does not use any system resources and when I checked it out long ago, I found it could not be undone, it is just part of the program.

If I remember correctly, it seems like something I read when researching that said it needed to be there for SAS to work correctly when removing problems and that is why it cannot be undone, but I could be wrong about that.

Edited by Stang777, 25 June 2009 - 04:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users