Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer 8 address bar history

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elliott05

elliott05

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:37 AM

I am running windows vista basic and internet explorer 8. I have tried multiple times to clear my browsing history using both the "safety" and "tools" drop down menu in internet explorer. The history under the "favorites" icon clears, but the history and autocomplete in the address bar does not unfortunately delete. I have tried to delete each item in the address bar separately, but every time I load internet explorer, the history is still there. I have tried to reset the internet explorer settings under the advanced tab, and I have also tried to reset the history under "control panels." I have also run a complete antivirus scan with symantec and a complete antimalware scan with malawarebytes, and both don't show evidence of infected files. Any thoughts on how to clear the history on the address bar? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Welcome to BC forums.

You need a third party tool like CCleaner (freeware).
(Although BC people do not advise using the registry cleaner part of CCleaner for some reasons. So you should not use it- just an advise.)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by Romeo29, 28 June 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#3 elliott05

elliott05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I tried running CCleaner and am still having the same problem. The history is cleared, but the address bar with autocomplete stills shows the browing history. I have run multiple antivirus and malware scans on my computer using AdAware, superantispyware, defender, symantec, and malware bytes. The only thing that came up was superantispyware detected "rootkit.agent/gen_local." I deleted this from my system yet the problem remains. I have also tried to go under the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\typed URLs but no files show up to delete individually. Any other thoughts?
Thanks

#4 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Try Internet Options>Content>Autocomplete>Settings

#5 elliott05

elliott05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

I tried that too. Both deleting the autocomplete history and turning off autocomplete. When I turn off autocomplete, the browser history on the address bar goes away but when I turn it back on the history is still there despite having "deleted it." Any other ideas?
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users