Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

“The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.”

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mplsbeatnik

mplsbeatnik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

I have a machine built 5/23/2008, running Windows XP Home. It was supposed to take away all of my PC-related problems. It has ended up costing me a lot of time and stress. I have, unfortunately, lost some faith in the store that built and sold me the machine.

If Windows 7 was out I would use the case (below) and start from scratch. Posting my problem on a few forums is my last resort…and something I wish I had done sooner.

Please let me know what you think! I appreciate any responses. I want to be brief, but am going to end up leaning toward TMI... (Too Much Information) …after reading a few posts here.

The system configuration originally included:

• AMD® Athlon 64™ X2 4400+ Socket AM2 CPU
• 2 GB PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 Memory
• Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA-II Hard Drive (C drive)
• Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA-II Hard Drive (F drive)
• 1.44 Sony Floppy Drive
• MSI NF6P-VSTA nVidia GeForce 6150SE Socket AM2 Mainboard
• Antec NSK4480 case, (380W Power Supply)

I asked the store to install “my” copy of XP Home (I had bought XP there originally, 1/10/03) and to install two used DVD drives, a Memorex 20x Multi Format DVD Recorder manufactured 11/07 and a TDK indiDVD recordable DVD/CD drive manufactured 11/03, during the build. I gave hardware manuals for both DVD drives to them, and knew one would need to be designated master, but that was never brought up during the process. I never asked.

The system is used primarily for benign web surfing, e-mail, ripping music, and playing with photo and video software, like Nero and Roxio. The case is kept clean, inside, and the discs are cleaned and defragmented regularly.

Less than 2 months later, I went to open or attach a file from the F drive (the 250GB “storage” drive) and the drive was “gone.” Not visible in Explorer. I looked at the event log, and found repeated pairs of disk error (26), followed by disk error (51):

“Windows - delayed write failed : windows was unable to save all off the data for the file F:\$mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.”

“An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.”

I took the machine in for troubleshooting…they (the builders) could not reproduce the error, but noted the system log and replaced the F drive under warranty.
One month later the same errors reappeared and they decided to replace the mainboard under warranty. Less than one month later the same errors re-appeared, I let them hang onto the machine for a full week, asked them to please determine the cause of the problem, and a third (“upgraded”) mainboard was installed…now I have an MSI K9N2GM-FD nVidia GeForce 8200 Socket AM2+ Micro ATX Motherboard #MS-7508-010.

When I got the machine home, I ran Windows XP Service Pack 3. The issue went away, seemingly to never return. Unfortunately, I was never able to determine what the cause of the disappearing F drive was. Did the new motherboard “fix” the problem…or did Service Pack 3? At this point, I doubt if this “old” issue is related to my current problem…but there are some notably similar things going on. That is why I included the information directly above.

8 months passed.

This May, everything froze up. I had a web browser open and an e-mail application, and was using Nero to create a DVD from videos I took on my Canon camera, something I do all the time.

The system log shows a disk error (11), followed by an ATAPI error (15):

“The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.”
“The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, is not ready for access yet.”

I returned to the store that built the machine. ORTHOS stress test was run…chkdsk…etc. I was told I could use a larger C drive and that the issue was likely not that but related to one of my “outside” components, specifically one of the DVD drives, because of the “ATAPI” error.

I was easily talked into a new C drive…which is now a Seagate 320GB 7200 RPM SATA II Hard Drive. I was advised to disable one and then the other DVD drive(s) if the issue returned. Which it did, with a vengeance.

I removed both DVD drives. Of course the problem remained. I plugged the machine into a different circuit in my home. Fifteen minutes later, everything froze up.

Here is how things are “working,” currently:

I start the PC. Depending upon its status when it was shut down, it either starts effortlessly or does not. Meaning if there were disc and ATAPI errors showing when it was last shut down, it generally shows the mainboard/bios screen, then the windows “knight rider” screen, then a black screen indefinitely…and I do mean indefinitely. Eventually I manually shut down and try again. And usually on about the fifth try I get through to the “welcome” screen, which means I will get to the desktop and have some time to use the machine. This startup process can easily take over an hour.

I then open the system log and watch it closely…if I walk away from the machine, I make sure to close all apps but the log, and when I return I refresh it to check for errors…it there are errors or if I do a periodic check while using the machine and find errors, I need to immediately save and close all apps, which may or may not work…and shut down. I am constantly checking it as I type this.

Sometimes the machine will operate with no errors for 8 hours. Sometimes for days. If no disc errors are occurring when I shut down, it restarts without any problems. Sometimes it will start having problems immediately after startup. I cannot link it to any application…or process…in fact it may or may not occur when the PC is sitting idle. It is truly random.

The log does seem to show a pair of service control manager information events, #7036, “The Google Software Updater service entered the stopped state,” and “The Computer Browser service entered the stopped state,” just prior to the disc errors, every time. I cannot help but think may be related.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading. Sorry for the length. I attempted to attach a Windows MPSR “cab” file, for your enjoyment, but it was not allowed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mplsbeatnik

mplsbeatnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

I forgot to mention that someone suggested I try "Combofix," which lead me here. After reading the instructions, I am hesitant.

They may be on to something, here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....0007&page=2

And I was reminded, when I walked back into the office after shutting down to post this, that the the machine sometimes takes an indefinite amount of time to shut down. In this case, there were no disc errors showing in the log, but shutdown took longer than 15 minutes so I had to kill the power manually. And then had to resart several times to get to the welcome screen, and then the desktop. Good times.

Thanks again.

Edited by mplsbeatnik, 25 June 2009 - 10:39 AM.

#3 Tyler Sweet

Tyler Sweet

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:19 AM

My first thought is a faulty drive controller, but that would've gone away with the new motherboards. Secondly, I thought a faulty drive, which they also replaced. But, considering again that it's been 8 months, alot can happen. For now, if the motherboard has more SATA plugs, try moving both hard drive connectors to different ports and see if that helps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Windows 7 RC1 is out...I (and others) have had it installed on our systems since it became available for download/install.

If I weren't interested in participating in XP forums...I would be using the RC1 right now a lot more...as an operating system (with no fear).

Welcome to Windows 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

We also have a Windows 7 forum here at this website, if you want to investigate the thoughts/comments of others on the RC1.

Louis

Have you run a hard drive diagnostic?

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#5 mplsbeatnik

mplsbeatnik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

Ok...

#1. I understand the Windows 7 RC1 is out...but it says on their site that you will have to do a full install when the release comes out...so I was trying to wait for that. And do it once. Now it looks like that is something I may need to do...either completely re-install XP Home or try Windows 7 RC1...lots of friends are using it with no issues whatsoever.

#2. Does Combofix seem like something I should run? Why would someone tell me not not do the recovery console when running it?

#3. MSI support said:

"Regarding your concern,we suspect your system has been infected by virus.
If possible,please fully format your system and reload a fresh new Win XP OS with service pack 2;

In addition,please visit following link to download and update to the latest BIOS A7508NMS.140:

ftp://ftp.msi.com.tw/BIOS/7508/
Username:jerryuser
Password:net2009

We would suggest you try to update the BIOS by using USB Bootable pendrive.It is convenienct for you:

1.First of all, please make a bootable USB pendrive. You can download USBoot.rar from the link below.Then please unzip this software and install it to make a bootable USB pendrive:
ftp://ftp.msi.com.tw/Tools/
Username:jerryuser
Password:net2009

2.Next go to our website to download BIOS file, then copy “AFUD4281.exe” and “A7508NMS.140” into USB.

3.After that, restart PC, press F11, choose USB booting under “boot sequence”.

4.Under DOS mode, please type “AFUD4281.exe A7508NMS.140”(without the quotation marks)and it will be updated successfully!!

Remember to Load Optimized Defaults under bios setup after you finish the BIOS update!

Best regards!"

I don't really like that answer. I want to know exactly what the source of the error “The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.” is. Is this a "virtual" "HAL drive?" I cannot figure this out...and noone has been able to tell me. I don't think it is an actual hardware device. I have a "C drive" and an "F drive." Right?

Reinstalling the OS seems to me to be a solution similar to the store that sold me the PC...lets try to replace what is probably the issue without identifying the source of the problem...by elimination it "must" be the OS...but what happens when I reinstall everything and the same error re-occurs? Good times. For this reason I am leaning toward Windows 7.

#4. I have SeaGate drives. I downloaded SeaTools for Windows and tried to run it. I get this error in a small "pop-up" window:
Fatal Error: Device Discovery (on top)
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value Int 32 IndexOf(System.String,Int32, Int32, System.StringComparison)
OK

I created a case with SeaGate.

I guess I pretty much have no choice but to redo the OS. Even though I do not think that is the problem. I suppose it could be. I could spend $59 for Microsoft support, which has solved my problems effectively in the past. This just does not make sense. Thanks for any and all replies.

Edited by mplsbeatnik, 26 June 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

A message re a controller error on a hard disk/drive...seems pretty specific to me.

I would assume that the drive is failing and take measures to check that out. Thus, I suggested the hard drive diagnostic.

Since Windows is on the hard drive...any number of anomalies could possibly occur...when attempting to boot into and use Windows that is installed on a possibly dysfunctional drive.

I would eliminate/confirm that possibility...before moving to other theories.

If the drive is failing, possible data loss can occur at any time.

If the drive checks out as OK, then I would move on to taking steps to eliminate/confirm malware as the root cause of my situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users