Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this enough security for peace of mind?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cyanide263

Cyanide263

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi. I think I have a pretty secure system. Although I am not 100% sure I can trust it. These are the current security measures I have in place
Antispyware: Malwarebytes (Free), AVG 8.5 (paid for), Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Antivirus: AVG 8.5, Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Firewall: Windows firewall enabled, Comodo Firewall (invisible ports - portscanning blocked)
iFrame program/file launch disabled
Anonymous internet and IRC - Ghostsurf 2005 (paid for) Setup: IP hidden, cookies, referer and referrer blocked, user agent blocked
Firefox web browser (BetterPrivacy Add On)
All current OS Updates, UAC On.
Is this a good set-up? How easy do you think it would be to compromise my machine? Would be grateful if someone could give me a good idea of how good my security is, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blackchaos93

blackchaos93

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Well... I can recommend SpywareBlaster. It blocks a lot of malware silently... and best of all... it's free! You should open it to run an update every week or so to keep it updated.

You can download it here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

\

Edited by blackchaos93, 24 June 2009 - 11:34 PM.

I hate my life :(

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

If you've got Comodo firewall running turn off the Windows firewall otherwise they may fight with each other.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Cyanide263

Cyanide263
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

If you've got Comodo firewall running turn off the Windows firewall otherwise they may fight with each other.

They seem to not be conflicting, although its annoying when port forwarding because I have to configure them both.

#5 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi,
my two grains of salt...
You have well protrcted your pc,But if you want to be at peace,go to grc.com There you will find out how to protect all files on your pc with data execution protection-DEP
I can explain to you here how to do that,but I think is well worth to go there.
Since I did that,many times DEP protected my pc shuting off internet explorer,evading pestilence,and then restarting IE!!!
I like it!A lot :thumbsup:
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users