Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Ethernet and Network Controller drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kellan6

kellan6

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

I recently formatted my Dell Inspiron 600m, installed Windows XP Home Edition SP 2, and now I find myself trying to reinstall all the needed drivers. The only ones I'm having problems with is the Ethernet Controller and Network Controller, which have the yellow question marks next to them in the device manager. How can I fix this?

Computer:
Intel Pentium
proccessor 1.5 GHz
599 MHz, 512 RAM

Please tell me anymore information I should give in order for you to help me. Thank you!

PS: I'm posting this from a different computer, obviously.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Your inspiron 600m should have this ethernet controller: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller and the driver is located here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=111674 ( hopefully this link works ).

You could have many different wireless cards installed in your laptop. This is the one listed as the "network controller".

The easiest way for me to find out what wireless card came with your laptop would be to go here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml
and input your service tag. This should give you the last piece of the puzzle that you're looking for. The last driver, once you know what wireless card is installed in your laptop will be located here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid= under "network".

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thankyou! Although that only solves half of my problem. The ethernet driver work flawlessly, though I'm not sure what driver to download with a "Card, Wireless, Capacitor INTEL2100, Not Applicable". I already tried downloading the one called "Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter", and that one gave me an error message when I tried to run it on the laptop.

#4 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Would it help if I told you I reinstalled Windows XP from a disc made for a different dell computer?

Edited by kellan6, 26 June 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Have you tried the link to Dell's System Information http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml and input your Service Tag to find out what your laptop came with originally as far as a wireless card?

This site will tell you exactly what wireless card you have and which driver to pick from there.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Have you tried the link to Dell's System Information http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml and input your Service Tag to find out what your laptop came with originally as far as a wireless card?

This site will tell you exactly what wireless card you have and which driver to pick from there.

Hope this helps,

I said it was "Card, Wireless, Capacitor INTEL2100, Not Applicable". I already tried downloading the one called "Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter", and that one gave me an error message when I tried to run it on the laptop. Any tips?

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

Well, I think the next step would be to turn the laptop off, remove the battery and flip it over. On the bottom of the laptop you will find a "cover" with 1 possibly 2 screws in it. Your wireless card is under this cover. Open that up and look directly on the card for any type of information as far as model number or name.

This may very well be an Intel 2100 based card that is considered a Dell TrueMobile card.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

That did the trick, and I now have the working drivers I need! Thankyou!

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Glad to hear you got it working.
Techextreme

-- Seneca