Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp only boots to recovery console

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kr9192

kr9192

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

I can not boot in safe mode or normal mode. I boot to the recovery console and not sure how to get windows running when at the c\windows prompt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

Try typing "exit" in the Recovery Console and see what happens.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Since you have the recovery console & can't start XP normally you may as well make use of the recovery console !

Type in fixmbr & press Enter

Type in fixboot & press Enter

Type in exit & press Enter

See if XP will start .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 kr9192

kr9192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

I have a blue screen that gives a "registry cannot load" error
system root ... software.
I ran those commands but no change, still get blue screen
does it look like the next command is format c: ???

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

If you have programs installed or stuff you don't want to lose y7ou might consider trying a XP repair before a reinstall.
you will lose your XP undates but that can be fixed.

Put the Windows XP disc into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

This link gives step by step instructions for a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 kr9192

kr9192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

Great I will give that a try. I need to find my XP CD?? then retry this evening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users