Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop dv6000 series problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

I have this laptop that I bought 2 years ago, a HP dv 6000 series. (15.4" screen) with Vista

I'm having problem starting the computer up from a cold start. The first time this happened was about two weeks ago, but I didn't think much of it until now.

The problem is sometimes, when I start up the computer, it doesn't load. It doesn't even get past the HP logo screen that you get when you first press the button (The one with the option to enable startup screen, go to boot options) Before it even checks for the hard drives. It just stops. Usually, when I turn the computer on, I go somewhere and it'd be on. Since two weeks ago, when I turn on the computer, I'll leave it for about 2 to 3 minutes and come back and it's still gonna be on that HP logo screen. I've tried waiting on it, and after 10 minutes it loads. That's not an acceptable loading time.

What happens usually, is that I turn it on, wait on it for 30 seconds or so, then see if it's still stuck on that screen. If it is, I turn it off manually (Pressing the power button for around 10 secs) then, I'll turn it back on. So far, whenever I do this, it works. It boots like it usually does.

Would you guys know what the problem is? I'm thinking it might be a problem with the hardware, particularly the motherboard, since it doesn't even go to POST. The Hard drive is second down the list. But then again, I'm not very good with computers so... :thumbsup:

Also, I read somewhere that it might be a firmware problem. Something about having memory cards connected during boot time might mess up the firmware or something of the sort. I keep forgetting to take it out. Last night, I took the memory card out, but when I started the computer up just now, the same problem happened again. This time, I admit that I do still have the external hard drive hooked on the computer so I don't know if that would mess things up too.
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

First off, I would back up all your important data if you haven't done so already.

Can you press any of the F# buttons at the screen, or does mashing the delete button do anything?

Try unplugging the hard drive (while it's off of course, and see if it will at least post.

I think that you may be right about a failing motherboard. Once you get the system booted up though, will it lock up on you?

Edited by Sterling14, 25 June 2009 - 04:15 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

I think I would be looking the BIOS for the option to "boot from USB" and disable that.

It sounds like your laptop is looking at all USB devices first for "boot instructions" or a master boot record to know where to boot from.

A simple test would be to remove all USB connected devices and memory cards and try turning the machine on from "cold". See if it boots up properly and in the specifiec time frame that you are used to. If it does then I think I would try testing with just your external USB drive connected and once again boot it from "cold". My bet is it will sit like it is now and take forever to bootup.

You may also want to check your BIOS version and see if HP has a BIOS upgrade for your dv6000 laptop.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users