Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after trying to change RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pamplemousse

pamplemousse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

My computer was working fine until I tried to exchange the original 256 RAM stick with a 512 RAM stick from another computer (the same exact model eMachine (I know :thumbsup: ) , and yes the same type of RAM).

So I undid the clips, put the new memory in, and when I tried to start the computer, the fan would run and it would beep three times (which a computer expert friend said means RAM failure), and nothing more happened.

So I put the original memory back in, and it did the same thing. I opened up the computer again, cleaned it out. I plugged in only the power and it started up normally like it should. So I shut it down to put it back within the distance of all the peripheral cords, I plugged everything in, and it did the three beeps again. Now it is continuing to do the 3 beeps, with the fan running, and nothing else.

What should I do now? I'm not that great with computers but I understand the basics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

If the memory has labels post what each says.

BTW, You do unplug the computer BEFORE removing or installing memory ?

One other thing, does either memory stick have a odd number of black chips on it ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 pamplemousse

pamplemousse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

The two original ones:

256 MB DDR - 400MHz - CL3
PC3200U-30330

256 MB DDR
PC2700 CL2.5

The one I tried to install in place of one:

512 MB DDR
PC3200U - 30330 CL3

Yes I unplug the machine before opening it. All 3 have 8 black chips. Thanks for any help

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

The 2 are PC2700 & the one is PC3200.
Normally they should work together & the faster would default to the speed of the slower .
The only difference I see in the specs is the cas latency.
If the 2 computers are the same make/model that shouldn't have mattered though.
Did you try changing which slots the memory was installed in ?

BTW, Most Emachines have a "Bestec" power supply.
Bestec power supplies are best known for failing & frying motherboards .
The fans will still spin & the power supply will still aqppear to work though.

I would try the unit with a single stick of the original memory & see if it w2ill start.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 pamplemousse

pamplemousse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

I changed the slots, and tried starting up with just one stick. Both produced the usual result - 3 beeps and nothing else :thumbsup:

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

Near the battery there should be a jumper to clear the CMOS
Turn the unit off
Unplug it
Move the jumper so clear the CLMOS
Put the Jumper back the way it was after a minute
Try starting.

If you can't find the jumper removing the battery will do the same thing
Just be carefull no0t to break the little plastic pieces on the battery holder
It should have 2 little plastic pieces on one side
Accross from them will be a small metal retainer
Compress it against the plastic holder & the battery should pop up enough to remove it
Wait a minute & replace the battery
Try starting it

If that doesn't work I would suspect the power supply went & took the motherboard with it. :thumbsup:

Emachines are usually good computers EXCEPT for the power supply.
I have one I bought years ago that I pulled the bestec power supply out of & put a good one in.
[I put the Bestec in the trash where it belonged]
That unit has been running 24/7 almost constantly with no problems !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users