Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreens, crashes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa89

Alyssa89

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hello, I have been having some serious issues with my computer the past 3-4 days and I'm at the end of my rope on what I know how to do to fix it. I suspect maybe an unknown virus? But I am not sure. It could be hardware or something else.

My specs are:
Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
2.01 GHz, 2GB of Ram
Gigabyte Motherboard
2 Western Digital HDD, one 70 gig one 500 gig

I've ran Memtest - 0 errors
I've ran check disk - 0 errors
I've ran multiple virus scans (Comodo, Avira, Housecall, AVG - all installed and uninstalled before starting another one) -nothing found
I've ran multiple spyware scans - nothing found
I've defragmented
I've kept a close watch on my PC/HDD temperatures - never hot enough to cause a shutdown

3 or 4 days ago, I woke up to find my computer in an endless reboot/bluescreen for I don't know how long, could of been as long as 3 hours. I had to completely shut down the computer for 10 minutes before it would boot and not BS on me. I also seemed to have lost my graphics card driver when that happened, because everything was extremely pixel'd and it was running in something like 8bit. I 'updated' my driver and it fixed.

Since then I've experienced many many crashes and yesterday was the worst when I got stuck in another blue screen loop and I couldn't even use my windows XP repair cd without bluescreening - eventually I shut the computer down for a few minutes and when I booted up I repeatedly pressed ESC which I read could sometimes trick it into skipping the error. It did. I've BS'd once since then.

I've tried system restoring back to when it was working fine - still have the problems. I didn't update any drivers or anything significant in the time frame that it messed up. The only thing I did was install a game, LunaOnline, which I originally thought was the culprit but I've uninstalled that and system restored to before it was installed with no difference.

Along with bluescreens, my Firefox is crashing a whole lot. I can just have it open, not even surfing, and it will randomly say it had to shut down due to an error. Sometimes after clicking 'ok', it will trigger a bluescreen. Yesterday, before the bluescreen loop I had, firefox had crashed and I believe set it off. If I go in Event Manager, I see one of these for every FF crash:

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3439, faulting module js3250.dll, version 4.0.0.0, fault address 0x0008b1b.

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3439, fauling module xul.dll, version 1.9.0.3439, faulting address 0x000560fb.

Also in Event Manger, under system, there are a lot of errors. Most seem to be from the source SideBySide:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.91_x-ww_decbdf0c\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Also, this is in there a lot:

The adfs service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

My bluescreen information, when I can see it, seems really random. I've gotten ones that say my file system is corrupted, ones that say system.exe is corrupted, ones that say services.exe is corrupted, ones that say PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, ones that say there was a fatal error and the system shut down, even some that say my windows couldn't be activated (I have a paid for, legal version), and ones that say nothing. I haven't kept track of the stop errors.. but two of them are:
0x00000024
0x001902fe
I suspect the information being displayed on my bluescreens aren't accurate.

I also have a few drivers that won't update or install. There is a yellow ! on them. They are:

Other PCI Bridge Device
SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

I had COMODO Firewall + Antivirus installed, and this was also crashing from 'unexpected errors'. I reinstalled the firewall only, and now have Avira AntiVirus. Haven't had any problems with those since reinstall.

*EDIT
Something new. Crash and bluescreen until I completely powered off, when it booted up:

One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

Edited by Alyssa89, 24 June 2009 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hi Alyssa89,

I think you need to go through whatever you can in the Preparation Guide and post in the HijackThis forum. Luna may have brought something bad into your system, but without the right scans, there won't be a chance to identify it. If your computer is bluescreening too much, it may be necessary to go tot a clean computer and burn some of the scans onto a cd or put them onto a flash drive and try to install them from there. Be sure to disconnect from the internet (physically). You will need to have at least one log when you post in the HijackThis forum. Then you'll need a lot of patience.

Zllio

#3 Kenny Reigh

Kenny Reigh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Here's How To Fix Blue Screen Errors Easily.
I was having the same problems, a lot of freezes and system crashes. I had recently installed a additional drive in my notebook SATA, and I thought that was the conflict so I removed it. I had also bought OEM software and thought that may be the problem so I got a Full Retail OS and still the same thing. I kept getting messages to check newly installed hardware etc., IRQL Not Equal and to run Scandisk..... I tried everything to no avail, and then it hit me.....BAM!
I upgraded my machine from 1024 memory to 2048
memory, but the upgrade was with -----> GENERIC MEMORY", so i removed it and replaced it with the original memory and VOILA! no more Blue Screen Errors', it is that simple. So those of you who are experiencing Blue Screen Errors I am hoping you kept the original memory sticks from the manufacturer. If i do a future upgrade of memory it must and will be with a purchase from the company that manufactures
the memory that came with my machine. My machine rebooted with no errors and works flawlessly even with the OEM version software, and I had to find out the solution when i spent 100.00 more on full retail.
Get that Generic Memory the Hell out of there. Not all Generic Memory causes this problem, but if you have Bluescreen errors, you have purchased the kind that does. I als did a wipedrive with WipeDrive software for a 100% clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users