Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All sound functions have stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

On my Dell Dimension 4300 XPSP2, my audio output (and CD playing ability) suddenly stopped working--and I did not make any changes to my machine, did not install any software or hardwarew, etc. .

I've been using a SoundBlaster Audigy SE board for about 18 months, and I have "system sounds", like the tune you hear when Windows boots up, error sounds, etc. But there's no volume control showing on my tool bar on the bottom of my screen, and when I click Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Sound Blaster audigy is listed.

However, when I click on Control Panel | Sounds and audio Devices, a box comes up labelled "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties", and under the Volume Tab, that box says "No audio device." And under the Audio tab, the Sound Playback section shows "no playback devices" under Default Device. Same with the Sound Recording section ("No recording deviices")--and there's nothing I can check to install these devices.

Also, when I click on the Volume Control icon on my desktop, a box pops up saying "There are no active mixer devices available. To Install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

But Control Panel does not show a heading "Printers and other Hardware." The closest tab I can find is "Printers and Faxes", but it has no option to add hardware. Nor does Sounds and Audio Devices have any option to add hardware.

I was a programmer years ago, so I have some knowledge of systems "in general", and to me this looks suspiciously like one problem that somehow propagated and caused the others.

I'm reasonably skilled at installing hardware and software, and not hesitant about playing with innards, but this has me puzzled.
Anyone have any knowledge of this stuff? Any ideas about what might be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

Have you tried reinstalling the soundcard drivers?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Bluesjunior, I thought about that and even got the disk out, but I want to hold off, because at least one of those options I looked at under Control Panel shows that the software is installed.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

I looked at under Control Panel shows that the software is installed.

That doesn't mean much
I'd still reinstall the driver
It will not harm anything
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

I "fixed" the problem by doing a Restore Point to a few days ago. I put --fixed-- in quotes because this doesn't really tell me what the problem was or is, it just makes things OK, and who knows when this problem will recur.

My wife was using my machine for a Webinar and I suspect that somehow, in the course of that experience, some settings or other "control stuff" got clobbered.

Still, I;'m frustrated by not having a good grasp of what the problem was, or how, specifically, I could have solved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users