Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mixing ram with and without heat speaders.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

Does anyone know if there would be an issue mixing ram that has heatspeaders with ram that doesnt assuming all the specs are the same?

Here's my scenario:

I've got two pc's, one with 2gig X 2 (w\heatspeaders) and one with 1gig X 2 (w/o heatspeaders). Since they are both 32bit, I wanted to move the ram around so each one has 3gigs. Would there be any issue i.e one stick getting hotter than the other? I hear they dont do much to cool the ram anyway:)

Thanks in advance.
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

As long as the memory is the same kind [not brand , but type] there is no problem.
Well, the only real issue would be if either, or both, units are using "dual channel" for the memory it would revert back to single channel [unless you have a new eenough motherboard[s] to make miss matched size memory work in dual channel] .
The thing is "dual channel" isn't enough of a performance gain to worry about losing it.

The heatspreaders , or no heatspreaders, makes no difference.

[I have used both together]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

Well, the only real issue would be if either, or both, units are using "dual channel" for the memory it would revert back to single channel...The thing is "dual channel" isn't enough of a performance gain to worry about losing it.

So upgrading from 2gigs to 3gigs offsets the loss of dual channel performance?
Resistance is futile.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

I have a motherboard that was using single channel with 2GB of memory .
I changed the memory to a matched dual channel kit that was faster memory & saw absolutly no difference.
Even a benchmark didn't show much of a difference.
I read about "dual channel" from several different sites.
If you do a little research it appears that in theory "dual channel" should be much better but in reality doesn't provide much of a performance gain.

If you have XP on the computers you are going to see a real boost going from 2GB to 3GB anyhow.

If it were me & all of the memory was the same type/speed [or close] I'd go for the 3GB per unit arrangement.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Awesome, thanks for the advice.
Resistance is futile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users