Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard/mouse fail at login

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adwill9

adwill9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Here's my problem:

My keyboard and mouse are not working at the Windows Vista login screen, so I cannot enter a password. This happened out of the blue one day. I have a wired Logitech G15 keyboard and a wireless Logitech MX1000 mouse. The keyboard works fine during BIOS.

Here is what I've tried:

*Using the original Vista install disc, I am able to boot from disc, and the keyboard and mouse work!! I tried a system restore, that didn't help.
*in BIOS, I have tried to ENABLE USB KEYBOARD/MOUSE
*in BIOS, I have tried LOAD FAILSAFE DEFAULTS, and LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS
*I have reseated the mouse/keyboard and tried them in different USB ports
*I have shut the computer down, unplugged, removed battery from mobo, held down power button to drain power, restored, and booted back up
*booting into "LAST KNOWN WORKING CONFIG" did nothing
*I have tried using a PS/2 adapter into the mobo, and then I can't even use the keyboard in BIOS
*I tried re-installing Windows, with the original disc. I got as far as asking for the product key, which I entered, and then an error message came up saying "The installation was cancelled" because "Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\Install.wim. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570
*I tried to "Repair" the windows installation... it came back pretty quickly (within 15 secs) to say that no errors were found, or something to that effect.

Any thoughts? This has been incredibly frustrating, and as much as I've talked trash about Macs over the years, I'm getting very frustrated with stupid little things like this popping up which leave my beautiful beautiful PC rendered completely useless.

Thanks in advance!
-Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hmmm... Do you have a spare keyboard and mouse laying around? If so, do they work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users