Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After restoring pc to original factory condition, Windows freezes-nothing works

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lucy1

lucy1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Running XPSP3, 512/RAM/Compaq Presario:
Avast Antivirus/PCTools firewall/Spywareblaster/Spybot/Ad-Aware/HijackThis- system is clean

Upon booting, no sound-tried getting to device manager to no avail, so my friend decided to go back to the original factory configuration(saved all documents)-

After reboot, I deleted all previous remnants of Java, then reinstalled new Java, and some programs, however:

I cannot update Windows- when I go to update.microsoft.com, it tries to check my software and hangs/freezes, forcing me to reboot

I cannot update .NET framework( I receive different error messages)

If I try to search for a file/folder, it keeps searching, never stops- same thing happens when I try to scan for spyware

Does not remember any passwords for Outlook Express

Freezes constantly, forcing me to do task manager- and/or hit power off button

I've defragged, cleaned registry, cleared all temp files/cookies

Would appreciate any help you can offer-

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

If you went back to factory configuration...how is it that MS.NET is on your system?

AFAIK, it does not come preinstalled on a system...since it's not necessarily a requirement for any system.

In any case, the best thing to do for that...is uninstall all previous/current versions/updates relative to it...and then download the 3.5 SP1 version directly from the MS.NET website.

What model Presario?

How was this return to original factory configuration accomplished?

Louis

#3 lucy1

lucy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

re:MS.NET on system- good question- unfortunately, I have no answer

Presario 6000- customized

Compaq had a feature on this model which permitted you to return the PC back to its factory condition- I'm assuming it's similar to system restore

I'll try your suggestion, and will post my results accordingly-

Any additional help is appreciated-

Many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users