Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiring a home together

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosed0

Chaosed0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

I've read around on this topic and haven't found anything to help me. Seems my home setup is much different from any other! Or maybe it's just that I'm a beginner D:
Essentially, what I would like to do is have it so that I would simply plug my computer into the cat5 jack in the wall and be able to access the internet or other computers in the house. Right now, I have to go through a cable modem/router to access the internet. I understand that if I connect my cable modem to a switch, and then each room's ethernet jack to that switch, then I should be able to connect. However, what I believe is a switch in the basement of my house looks like this:

Posted Image (This image is sideways)

So, can I simply take a bare cable and crimp one end of it, inserting it into the cable modem, and attach the other end of the bare cable into the last empty slot in this panel? Or am I entirely off, because, as I said, I'm a beginner at all this? (I understand I also need to attach a coax cable somewhere, but I don't know where!) Please help me out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hey,
in order to have internt connection at your home you should be having an Internet service provider, whether by dial up connection(from Telecomuniction company) or Broadband Satellite Internet(VSAT Technology), well I don't know what you are using right now, but the connection could be like this, the ODU(out door unit) is connected to the IDU(indoor Unit) using the coaxal Cable, the ODU could a Disc with LNB/BUC that is connected to a in IDU that could be Network Modem using the IFL(coaxal cable in this case)
Next is to connect the Network Modem to your Switch using an ethernet cable(RJ45),
but your switch looks rare so am not quite sure, but try it the way you'd proposed crimping one end and inserting the other end on the switch

#3 Chaosed0

Chaosed0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

Right, sorry for not making that clear. I have a broadband connection provided by CATV. And, by the way, I assume all these connections (in the picture) are for the jacks in my house, but as to whether this is a switch or not I'm not sure.
But, anyway, if I don't get any more responses then I'll try what I proposed.

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

I've never worked with a switch that looks like that, but it seems that if those are the ethernet cables that run through your house, your idea of crimping and insertion should (in theory) work.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Is it possible to get a "top-side" picture of what you have?

From what you have pictured, that looks very similar to some of the "home networking" equipment I have seen installed in newer homes where all network cables and all phone lines are in one single box normally in the basement of the home or some kind of "wiring closet". The network cables go to a unit much like what you have pictured and on the other side are RJ-45 jacks.

The phone lines also go to a unit that looks similar but has RJ-11 jacks on the other side.

If this is the case then somewhere in that "box" there should already be some sort of "switch" that already connects all of these together.

As you stated, your internet access is provided by a cable modem/router. In that same box shoud be a large splitter with a bunch of video cables going to it and then being distributed to each respective room of the house.

If your Cable is connected to such a unit and you have the "switch" in the box, you could then move your cable modem inside that box, connect it to the "switch" and go to each network connection in each room of your house and have internet access.

But, this will all depend on whether all of these pieces of the puzzle are as I'm thinking they might be.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 Chaosed0

Chaosed0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys. Haven't had time to try it yet (power went out for no reason whatsoever >.>). Here's some more pictures for your reference:

Posted Image Entire Box (Whoops that turned out kinda small)

Posted Image All panels in basement (two breaker panels)

Unfortunately, I didn't catch this: where should I put the coax? 'Cause that's essentially where the modem gets access to the internet, right?

Edited by Chaosed0, 24 June 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

I have looked at your photos for hours trying to figure out who made that system ( the manufacturer ).

I have seen and installed many by "Grey Fox" that look similar to what is pictured here: http://www.basshome.com/greyfox_structured...ons_720_ctg.htm

Unfortunately I can't come up with a manufacturer. As I do not want to tell you any incorrect information and cause ANY burned up hardware or computers, I'm wondering if there are any manufacturers markings or names or model numbers on the equipment you have pictured.

I'm sorry to run you through one more hoop but I would rather be safe than sorry. Especially with someone elses wiring and equipment.

Thanks,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#8 Chaosed0

Chaosed0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

No problem! In fact, I would like to thank you for being so careful.

Looks like it's made by Residential Technology Services.
Model number is some "43-2890 Rev. 7/98."
One more note of interest, it says that none of the parts should be user serviced. Should I pay this heed?

Edited by Chaosed0, 24 June 2009 - 08:15 PM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Can you post a few pics a little closer of the box? The one that is close is a little small.

My advice would be give them a call. You may have gotten that company's "Standard A Residential" package and they might be able to tell you that sort info over the phone. You don't want to go messing with the wiring and void some sort of warranty.

But I think it might be just as easy as you said. =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 13 July 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users