Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activatiing windows defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hey,

I've just bought a Compaq Presario CQ50 laptop running MS Window Vista Home Premium
it came with a lot of preloaded softwares,
of which one of them is Windows Defender and Norton Internet Security, I didn't activate any of them but I have installed, AVG 8.5 instead.
but the two software are ever sturbing, they always prompt for activation, (they appear in warning state on the task bar) I'd planned to uninstall the Norton Internet security and activate windows defender. is this a good Idea or my current Antivirus is enough(AVG 8.5)

Thanks for your suggestions in advanced

Edited by VICTORNOUS, 24 June 2009 - 08:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 telwat

telwat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

AVG and Windows defender is a good combination.
To uninstall Norton use http://service1.symantec.com/support/inter...lg=nl&ct=nl

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

I don't read Hollander (sorry I forget the name of your language, I know it's not Netherlander lol, and as it and french are used equal and that's not french........), but is that the Norton Removal Tool you linked?

EDIT: BTW Victornous, as Telwat stated, Defender is a good program and there not a single valid reason I have seen anywhere to not use it. The UAC however.............

Edited by DeathStalker, 24 June 2009 - 10:01 AM.

#4 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your contributions, so am going to install windows defender along side AVG but the link provided by Telwat as Stated by DeathStalker, is in a rare language, thus its difficult to figure out what exactly it does,
but in simple I think I can uninstall Norton Internet Security just like any other program.

any suggestion.

Victornous

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:10 AM

use the norton removal tool to COMPLETELY remove
http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html
Have A Great Day