Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv-In/Out Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

Could someone please suggest the best card for accepting a TV input for watching TV on my PC and capturing video from my VCR and also for using my TV as a secondary monitor? I'm looking for one that costs less than $50. My TV has an S-Video input which I'd like to use. I've tried a number of graphics cards and can't get anything on my TV, so I'm looking for something that's reliable and easy to use.

Thank you,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

I've never done TV out, but a capture card will depend on what slots you have available to put the card in. I believe that the regular video card must have the TV-out feature in order for that to work properly, but I'm not sure.

I think you are talking about 2 separate cards, but I could easily be wrong. To me, capturing video is one thing while TV-OUT is another.

Possibilities are PCI-E, PCI, and AGP...depends on the system. Ooopss...forgot that there are USB capture devices also.

Following link will illustrate what I mean, http://www.pricewatch.com/search?q=video+c...;cn=Video+Cards

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_capture_card

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

On the TV as a monitor thing,

Hook up the TV to the video card with the S video cable
[ A TV tuner will not make yor TV work as a regular monitor. It will allow you to watch TV & record/playback only
If you don't have a video card with TV out you won't be able to use the TV as a monitor]

Turn the computer & TV off
Turn the TV on & put it on Auxillary
Turn the computer on & let it start
Click anywhere on the desktop there isn't a icon
on the menu click Properties
Click on the Settings tabClick on the second monitor
put checkmarks in the boxes by.
Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor
Use this as my primary monitor
click apply
you now should have a desktop on the TV
click on monitor 1 & take the checkmark out of the box by
rxtend my desktop to this monitor.
The TV is now your monitor

On the TV tuner,
I have a "Easy TV Tuner" I bought off of ebay for $20. with free shipping. :thumbsup:

It came with a remote & a disk with the drivers & software.
It was easy to install & works great !
The ONLY issue is sometimes when I change the channel the new challel will be B&W for a few seconds before the color kicks in.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried everything to get my computer display to appear on my TV, including calling customer service, but I haven't managed it yet.

Years ago I had an ATi Radeon All-In-Wonder card that allowed me to do TV-In and TV-Out, but they don't seem to make those anymore. Is there a good modern version?

Thanks again,
Joe

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

Do you know what kind of video card slot your motherboard has ?
AGP or PCI-E ?

If not give me the brand & model of the computer [or motherboard if it's not a "brand name" unit]

Also, Do you play any newer "high end" games ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

It's PCI-E and I don't play games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users