Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pictures from memory open extremely slow!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orez19

orez19

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:20 AM

Hello,

All of the images that I have saved to my computer are extremely slow to open. The folders containing these images are also slow to open. I'm talking 30 seconds to a minute to open a single file, and up to several minutes to open a folder containing, say, 20 images. Another thing I have noticed is that if I try to right-click these images to open up different options, such as renaming them or deleting them, it also takes like 20 seconds. This does not happen with any other type of files on my computer, and happens with all types of image files (.jpg, .gif, etc., everything). I've run virus scans and I've deleted anything that has showed up. I'm wondering if maybe in the past I deleted some file that was used to open the files quickly...I honestly have no clue, but in the past they all opened instantly.

All pictures from internet sites (facebook, myspace, everything) open instantly. Also, when I plug in my digital camera to look at pictures it takes several minutes as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

If you have a multitude of pictures and open these in thumbnail view, it can take some time to load them onto your screen. It may help to defrag the drive where these are stored. Also, if you have not already done so, check to see what application is opening them.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 orez19

orez19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the reply jgweed,

There really aren't that many pictures in these folders, and it never used to do this before, even when it opened in thumbnail view. Also, I have done a defrag, and it did not help any.

It doesn't seem to matter which of the programs I use to open/view the images. They each take the normal time to start up and open the picture (i.e, Adobe Photoshop takes a few seconds longer than, say, Paint).

The problem comes when:

I go to My Computer > (C:) > Pics Folder (a sub-folder within the C drive). Once I try to open that pics folder it just freezes up the computer and takes a really really really long time to get opened. Once it's opened it takes a while to close as well. However, all sub-folders that do not contain images open instantly.

Another problem occurs when:
I try to right-click a single image file on my desktop or in any other folder on the computer. It takes 10-20 seconds for the options (Delete, Rename, Open With...) to pop up. But it does not do this with any other type of file. All other files instantly give me those options when I right-click them.

I realize some, if not most, of this new post is repeating what I said in my original post, but I really don't know what else to say. This is what is happening, and it's really irritating.

#4 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hi Orez19

Like jgweed has mentioned, there could be alot of factors when dealing with images. Best place to start is disable thumbnail view and use icon or list or even detail view on the folders containing the images. If this speeds things up let me know. I will see if i can find any performance tips for windows thumb views for you in the mean time.

Btw what program are you using to open the images? maybe changing the program to say windows default image viewer will help? if it speeds things up you may have a problem with the editing application you are using. Or even a memory issue, how much ram, what processor, what size hard drive and how much free space, windows version? etc...

Also try Control Panel > Folder Options > View > "Do not cache thumbnails" may help with the process if you deal with alot of images, you could be bogging the cache down.

Also these might help when using windows xp:

Ensure latest service pack is installed and all updates

Try registry fix #2 "Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000" at this page:
http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

and MSKB 819017 "Long Delay Before Files Appear in My Computer
in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...A=1&SD=HSCH

These tips came from a user called nexex-ga on google answers and were not from my own personal knowledge lol! credit where credit is due!

Let me know how you get on!

High500

Edited by High500, 01 July 2009 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users