Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with stopping a cyberstalker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Missie5002

Missie5002

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:02 AM

Hello, and any help you can provide I thank you in advance.

I am a single mother of a 14-year old girl and have owned a small sign business for 5 years. Either the cyberstalker was attracted by my daughter and her friends on-line or it could be a competitor of my business. Not sure which, or why, but would like to stop this stalker once and for all.

It appears the hard drive has been partitioned and info residing on the hidden partition so that no matter what is fixed/overwritten/deleted on c:\ once the machine is turned off and on the windows registry, start up files, etc. are simply reincarnated.

The stalker changes the administrator to himself, and limits everyone elses user accounts.

No matter what anti-spyware, anti-whatever I download and have tried, they are easily tampered with, with phony shell programs that execute and pretend to check for viruses, trojans, etc.

Hacks into our emails, efax programs, consistently moving and deleting files, changing our passwords.

I find remote dial in information where they are using TCP/IP, sending and receiving packets of audio and video and whatever top secret information my daughter and I are creating on our computers.

Thank you again for any guidance of what you would do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

Make sure you have a firewall installed and running at all times, and watch carefully everything going in and out of your computer. Once this is done, you can begin the process of cleaning up your computer. I am sure others will also have additional suggestions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Missie5002

Missie5002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:18 AM

Believe there are 4 installed at the present time. Microsoft, McAfee, PrevX and SpyBot. Each are hacked giving erroneous information of the event logs, etc.

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

Have you thought about contacting the police? If someone has taken over your PC as you claim I'm sure they would be very interested in having a look. Clearly if they are interested in your daughter they are a Paedophile and need putting in jail so they can't harm anyone.

If you don't want this option I'd do the following.

Just simply format the drive and reinstall the OS then you can get rid of all the hidden partitions.

UltimateBootCD has a piece of software called Killdisk use this to zero your entire hdd. It even has partition managers which will allow you to delete the hidden partition.

If you want a non destructive method then build Ultimate BootCD 4 Win which has tools which will allow you to reset all the passwords and regain control of your PC.

Edited by stidyup, 05 July 2005 - 03:14 AM.

#5 Missie5002

Missie5002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

Yes, I have filed a police report with our Hamilton County Sheriff's Computer Crimes Division. Their answer was "we can't do anything about this type of problem." One officer told me to file a complaint with our local FBI office. I called them. They didn't want to be bothered either and told me they were up to their eyeballs with Homeland Security issues.

I've changed entire computers 4 times for my business, 3 times for my daughter with no luck. I've changed our phone number to unlisted. As well as changed email accounts.

Yes I am extremely concerned about a pedophile. She is watched like a hawk by all family and friends in our small town, when she is outside of my supervision.

I keep trying all avenues of help. I will find someone smarter than this stalker, and help me stop them.

Thank you for your reply.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:03 AM

Hi Missie5002

This link is for an organization that can help you with Cyberstalking problems.

WiredSafety dot Org

Once you've gained more information, I would again call your local FBI field office.
And if they put you off again, then call and write to the Regional Director of FBI in your area.

Like identity theft, this is a very difficult problem to pursue.

Good luck!
Regards,
Koan

//Edit: I was just passed this link for another organization that helps:
Web Investigations and Security Agency is an international non-profit organization
of skilled volunteers dedicated to promoting safety and security online.

Edited by KoanYorel, 05 July 2005 - 04:10 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

You have already received some excellent advice. :thumbsup:

This may be of some help. I thought that I would post it just in case, you would like to give it a shot.

Tracing a Hacker

Tracing a hacker
> Written by: Paperghost [paperghost@vitalsecurity.org]
> 24/02/2005

Edited by scarlett, 05 July 2005 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Missie5002

Missie5002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:36 PM

THANK YOU EVERYBODY VERY MUCH

All the links and info you've all shared is just what I've been looking for. I submitted a crime report to the WIASA website, guess I've got my hopes up a little after visiting this website, it's like possibly finding some real help. What a relief it would be after a year and a half. Mostly, I've found people just do not treat this serious, let alone a crime.

And, thank you to Mr. PaperGhost, I read his article first about tracking a hacker and then found this forum. I did not know about the netstat -(switches) and was able to capture even more info about this stalker that may be of use to WIASA, if it gets that far.

What a fine bunch of people you are. We thank you.

Missie and Rebecca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users