Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista BSOD on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my computer. Halfway through an attempt to install a bluetooth driver software (which is probably what is causing this problem) the computer crashed with a BSOD.

Now, whenever I try to boot up into Vista, I get a BSOD with a "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" error.
Technical Info: STOP: 0x0000000018 (0x000006,0x8A036818, 0x000000002, 0xFFFFFFF)

***vadmulti.sys - Address 8A036818 base at 8A034000, DateStamp 3fa941d8

Booting into Safe Mode also resulted in a crash, and Last Known Good Configuration did not work.

And For some reason when i tried booting using the Vista DVD it did not seem to work.
By the way I have a dual boot config. Windows XP is the other OS, which works fine (maybe i can use that to fix the Vista BSOD problem?)

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerb255

killerb255

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

Driver problem--particularly with whatever uses vadmulti.sys. In other words, you're right: the Bluetooth install is causing the problem.

You might be able to get away with turning off your Bluetooth device so Windows won't detect it, boot into XP, remove vadmulti.sys, and reboot in Vista's Safe Mode...

Edited by killerb255, 24 June 2009 - 02:38 PM.

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hi,
I've tried to remove the vadmulti.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers , but it still crashes even in safe mode.

Oh, and I've figured out now how to boot from DVD (some settings were *somehow* changed in the BIOS). I'd try startup repair, but not sure if that would mess up my dual-boot configuration . ANd I'd like to try other steps before doing a re-install of Vista. Thanks!

Edited by funnytim, 24 June 2009 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users