Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting over

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi all.

I have a 2 year old HP Pavillion a6009n with Windows Vista. There is so much junk installed on it ( 2 daughters) and I don't know where to start. Some programs I tried to remove through the control panel. Now the program is still listed as being on the computer but it no longer runs. I think I would like to start over with a clean system and only install what I want. I have the disks that came with the computer- recovery disk 1; recovery disk 2 and PC doctor.

Is this something a novice like myself can do with help from here? Or should I leave it to the pros? I talked to the people at Best Buy. They want $70 to run a diagnostic check and $130 to reinstall Vista. They won't reinstall Vista without running the check first.

Thanks for any help

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

You should have no problems

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3384293
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Holy Crap! People are getting $200 to do a reinstall? I've been doing it for beer, and I think I am getting the better deal. I have no idea what sort of 'scan' they are doing. A hardware scan can not tell you if a hardware failure is imminent, and who cares if there is a virus or something. The system is going to be wiped clean and reformatted. You ought to ask them what the purpose of the scan is. At best, they can maybe tell you if your hard drive has issues, but beyond that, I can't think of a single thing that a 'scan' is going to uncover.

You absolutely can do it yourself. I think garmanma is about to respond to this post, so I won't steal his thunder, but there are tons of guides on the Internet to help you out. Seriously, the hardest part is usually getting the system to boot from the CD.

$200? Maaaaaaaan, next time I do a reformat, I am charging for a whole CASE of beer.

#4 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I've read the instructions and it sounds easy enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I make out (if I'm sucessful. ha ha)

I knew BB was way out of line. The more I deal with them the less I like it.

Thanks
Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

I'm with groovicus.... a case of beer and I'm happy to do a reinstall. As garmanma said, "you should have no problems".

Good Luck,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

You two might only charge a case of beer (or less) but YOU don't show up in a "cool" black and white bug that says geek squad on it lol. That's worth $150 right there..........

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

:huh:

True, but by the time I am done with my beer, I don't care.

#8 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Mike K,

Keep in mind that the factory recovery will reinstall some programs you may not wish to keep.
Instead of using the built in uninstall feature you might want to try Revo Uninstaller. It will do a
much better job of getting rid of left over items. I have a a6110n and have done several
recoveries and Revo makes the job alot easier.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

ps; If you use Revo the "Advanced" mode works best.
Also it is completely free!

Edited by Bartster, 25 June 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

but YOU don't show up in a "cool" black and white bug that says geek squad on it lol.

I got an old black van with Bleeping Computer bumper stickers on it and a can of spray paint
I'll put whatever you want on the side for free beer :huh:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

Wow, that was easy! The hardest part was going through everything and saving what we wanted to keep. All that's left now is to install the updates and a few programs we want. AV, firewall and spyblaster already installed.

Thanks everyone.

Bartster, I'll have to check out Revo.

Mike

FYI, the $200 at BB was for me to take it there.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

geesh that is steep. I think If I was doing one for a customer ID likely only charge 25 bucks total, and thats to check the hardware AND reformat. come on best buy dont be such a rip off. . . lol

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

Wow, that was easy!

Congrats! Now buy yourself a beer or two to celebrate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users