Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmbhltpf.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 john baptist

john baptist

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

I have done all these thing pc still infected virus is smarter then I can anyone help
Tom Mercado, Jun 22 22:06:
If he can slave the drive to another machine he'll be able to recover all he wants. I'd be surprised if he cannot get that done or does not know someone who can get it done.

There are several sites I can direct you to that can help with some of that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 22 19:30:
Tom I guess you are right it is a portioned hard drive with install and or recovery available there. It is a shame my son has so much stuff saved on the drive he wants. I think someone tried to down load an infected file and MacAfee would not let them so they disabled the software. I wish I had a boot disk I would try to remove the file from dos with out booting from the C drive. let me know if you have any other suggestions before a format the drive You have been very patient and knowledgeable I appreciate your help. Jim
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 8:05 PM
Subject: Malwarebytes Support ticket #12837

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Mercado, Jun 22 19:03:
That file is bad for sure and if CF won't run then we have a real problem.

There is so much on this system, I'm not sure the time and effort of trying to clean it is worth it.

We're looking at countless hours and no guarantee of the system being cleaned. Do you have the install disks?

I honestly believe you'd be better off saving all your data and reformatting the drive.

Jim Lawlor, Jun 22 18:50:
Tom Combo fix wants to delete mmbhltpf.dll but can not do it I have tried also. This file seems to be heading up the trouble. I have attached the log file for your review.. machine still rebooting and only works in safe mode hard drive is working constantly.. I hope you can help. Jim

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 12:42 PM

Attachments to this comment:
report.txt

, Jun 22 17:03:
Tom I have run TFC and also sdfix it was the only program that started automatically even in safe mode. Trojan installed itself on the usb stick but MacAfee caught it. It called itself quick time updater and explorer it also infected the combo fix I downloaded it again and renamed it I will try to run it and send you the logs. The program gave me a hard time getting the last text to you. It is a very intensely written program it seems to think for itself...Jim

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 12:42 PM

Tom Mercado, Jun 22 11:40:
The system is heavily infected.

First try running Malwarebytes in safe mode, see what it finds.

Try running the tools below in the order presented, not sure how much luck you'll have if it keeps rebooting tho.

Download TFC from the link below:
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
Save it to your desktop.
Print these instructions. Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs... including your browser!
Double click on TFC.exe to run it.
TFC will begin cleaning up the "temp" files... it may take only a few seconds or it could be several minutes, depending on the amount of temp files found.
If prompted to reboot... click Yes.

Then:
Download SDFix from the link below and save it to your desktop.
http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe

Double click SDFix.exe and choose 'Install' to extract it to its own folder on the desktop.
Please then reboot your computer into Safe Mode by doing the following:
*Restart your computer
*After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually
*Instead of Windows loading as normal, the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' screen should appear;
*Use the up down arrow keys to select the first option 'Safe Mode' to run Windows, then press 'Enter'.
*If it applies, select the operating system we're currently trying to remove malware from, then choose your usual account.
*When prompted by Windows to accept working in safe mode, click 'Yes'

Then open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
*Type 'Y' to begin the cleanup process.
*It will remove any trojan services or registry entries found then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
*Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
*When the PC restarts the fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display 'Finished', press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
*Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt (be sure to use Notepad)
*Finally, **attach** the contents of the results file Report.txt back into your next reply for my review.

Please save using the default Notepad format,
DO NOT USE WORD or any other office type of software.
DO NOT COPY & PASTE the log, send it as an attachment.

!!***PLEASE READ DIRECTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING & READ TWICE***!!

There is rootkit activity on the system, please run the tool below. Do you have the installation disks for the operating system? We may need them.

The userinit.exe detection usually indicates a rootkit activity, please run the tool below. Do you have the installation disks, we may need them.

Seeing enough there to warrant deeper scanning and advanced removal techniques.

********************************ATTENTION***********************************
*Please do not add or run any other software(including Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) on the system while we're in the 'clean up' phase.
*This tool may or may not remove files on it's first run, do not be concerned if you're still experiencing problems.
*We may very well need to perform additional removal steps.
*Regardless of what Combofix removes or your subsequent lack of malware symptoms, be SURE TO SEND ME THE LOG

While the steps below look difficult, in most cases it's a simple matter of saving the file to the desktop and double-clicking it to run. If you're prompted to update ComboFix, please do so.

If the Recovery Console does not install, continue on and allow ComboFix to run.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations(if ComboFix flashes and disappears and does not run it's possible you may have to rename the file as many malware infections block this tool. There is also a chance this will still fail. In that event, you may have to download the file from an uninfected computer, install it to a CD or USB stick and rename it before installing it to the infected machine):

Link 1
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
Link 2
http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
Link 3
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

*** IMPORTANT !!! SAVE COMBOFIX TO YOUR DESKTOP***
* Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
* Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
* As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
* Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures. A dialog box will display saying so.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message displayed in a dialog box:
Recovery Console successfully installed-Click 'Yes' to continue scanning for malware-Click no to exit

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Please save using the default displayed Notepad format.
DO NOT USE WORD or any other office type of software to save it.

!!***PLEASE READ DIRECTIONS TWICE***!!

Jun 22 10:05:
I am having allot of trouble my sons machine keeps rebooting only will run in safe mode. I will attach a scan log from Hijack this...Any suggestions?Jim
To: Jim Lawlor
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:00 PM

Attachments to this comment:
hijackthis.log

Tom Mercado, Jun 21 20:59:
From safe mode try using system restore as described in the link below:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

Please try that and Last Known Good Configuration in the advanced boot options list.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

Download RSIT by random/random from the link below and save it to your desktop.
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSIT.exe
Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
Once it has finished, two logs will open.

Please attach the contents of LOG.txt (<<will be maximized-displayed on desktop)

***DO NOT SEND INFO.TXT... if I need it I will ask specifically for it.***

Please save using the default Notepad format,
DO NOT USE WORD or any other office type of software.

Jun 21 20:53:
I have virtumonde.sdn can get windows on except in safe mode. Any suggestions Jim.
To:
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:18 PM

Tom Mercado, Jun 21 17:17:
I don't see any scan log, I need this info, if you sent it, please resend.

Do not use safe mode w\networking, you're exposed to the Net with no security software.

Also, do not scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode either, our software is not designed to see malware in safe mode.

Jun 21 16:30:
Thank you Tom for your help PC has win32 Trojan I have not had success removing the reg files it is in win log on area also can only run in safe mode I am stuck...Any suggestions?
To:
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:35 PM

Tom Mercado, Jun 21 11:33:
Hello and welcome to the helpdesk. Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your security solution, my name is Tom Mercado and I'll be assisting you today.

This error usually occurs when other security software is running. Try turning off any security software especially any 'active' or 'real time' monitors.

Also the Malwarebytes default 'Quick scan' option is designed to scan all known parts of a system where malware can hide. We constantly update these areas and have complete confidence that using this option is more than sufficient to remove all malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hello john baptist and :flowers: to Bleepingcomputer.
I understand that you are very new to posting on a forum. That's perfectly okay, all of us here were new to this at some point. We will ease you into it. :trumpet:

The most important aspect of posting on a forum is being able to communicate information clearly. Since I am unable to physically see your computer, the only way I can know what is going on is from what you tell me.

Here are some helpful hints on communicating via forum.

1. Use basic grammar and punctuation rules.
2. If you need to convey a large amount of information, use blank lines or numbering to logically break it up into smaller chunks.
3. If you do not completely understand something, or if you run into problems when following given instructions, stop and ask questions.
4. Make sure you read all information in a post before beginning to follow instructions.

Now, let's get started :thumbsup:

In order to better understand what we are looking at here, could you please do the following for me?

1. List any symptoms that your computer is experiencing. Symptoms can be things such as slow start time, programs not running as they should, your web browser being redirected, Anti-virus or Firewall warnings, popups, etc. The more detail you can provide, the easier it will be to understand exactly what is happening.

2. Please explain, to the best of your ability, how you believe that you became infected.

3. Please list, in chronological order, any tools you have used to try and fix this problem. Also, for each tool, please note if you had difficulty running it, or if it was unable to run at all.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 June 2009 - 10:34 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

PC has or has or had virtumonde.sdn
1. pc will only run in safe mode otherwise keeps rebooting
2. I believe someone tried to download a file and disabled mcafee
3. I have ran several infection remoaval software
4. They end up trying to remove mmbhlfp.dll
5. In logs they write run once del this file with no success
6. Pc upon start keeps rebooting
7. Has turned off system recovery and mcafee
8. I have removed some registry lines referring to files know to be malicious
9. Files were named reader_exe
10 I have changed reg to allow me to run regedit
11 I am new to posting here and I am sorry if it does not make sense
12.I ran malwarebytes first cleaned alot of files wanted to delete mmbhltpf.dll
13.I ran combofix virus attacked it I loaded a renamed combo with same result
14.I ran fdfix also removed some files all ending in the same result
15.I ran tfc.exe all said and done computer still only runs in safe mode otherwise it will keep rebooting
Can you help me

Edited by john baptist, 24 June 2009 - 09:05 AM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello john baptist,

No need to be sorry about being new. :thumbsup:

We are working towards being able to help you with your malware issues. But I want to make sure that I understand correctly before we take any action.

1. You believe you became infected when someone tried to download a file and disabled mcafee

2. PC will only run in safe mode otherwise it becomes stuck in a reboot loop.

3. The malware has disabled system recovery and mcafee

4. You have run several infection removal programs including Malwarebytes, SDFix, and ComboFix; all found and removed several files including virtumonde.sdn. They all detected and attempted to remove mmbhlfp.dll, but were unsuccessful.

5. In addition, when you attempted to run ComboFix the malware prevented it from running. You were able to run ComboFix after downloading a new, renamed copy.

6. You have modified the registry in order to run regedit, and have removed some registry lines referring to files (reader_exe) that you knew to be malicious

7. You ran tfc.exe

8. None of your symptoms have improved.

Is this correct?

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

Good Morning Blade ...
Yes all your discriptions are correct boot loop and the software I ran...
The machine belongs to my son I am guessing about somone shutting down McAfee
I was using my machine to take the programs to his via usb stick Malware loaded itself to my machine during the process
Mcafee found it and said it was contained But I scanned my machine yesterday and found two trojans one installed itself to my D partitioned recovery drive
The intruder file is able adapt itself when it needs to hide I would call it the cameleon
I would like to thank you for your time and look forward to your advise
John

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hello john baptist

We need to take some additional measures to protect your personal machine from infection, as you will likely need to continue transferring programs via usb stick to the infected machine

I need you to do this to your computer please. After you have finished running this on your computer, then please transfer the program over to your son's machine and repeat the steps.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your usb stick and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Please reply back to let me know that you have done this.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 25 June 2009 - 09:35 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#7 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

:thumbsup: Blade I have followed your recommendations for both machines... John

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Good morning john baptist

All right, we should now be ready to start going after the malware :thumbsup:

Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Transfer it to the Desktop of the infected machine.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. You can find information on A/V control HERE
Once Notepad has opened showing the two logs, make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== and post the logs as the instructions state.

Include the description of your issues as I have written them here in post 4.

Close the DDS program window, and delete the program from your desktop.

Once you have made your new topic, we would appreciate it if you posted back here with the link to your new topic.

If you cannot produce the DDS logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

~Blade

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 June 2009 - 11:02 AM.
Clarify description location. ~ OB

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#9 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hello Blade
Today after windows safe mode loaded machine display got wierd PC locked up.
Tried to reboot no video no display during boot nothing.
Monitor says no signal never had video problems with the machine
It has intergrated graphics I dont know if problems are related
I have a spare nvidia card 8600 gt but the cooling fan does not function I was using it in this machine untill recently
If you think it would help I will replace onboard with the spare card and disable on board graphics
I guess I am stuck and will wait for your instructions
I do have a high jack txt from before I contacted you generated from that machine if you would like to see it let me know
Malware is upsetting
Sorry about the delay in contacting you I was locked out of my sons room untill just now...
Thanks.... John

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hello John,

Well. . . I'll admit I didn't see this coming. I'm consulting with several of my colleagues here at BC regarding how we should proceed. In order to rule out simple hardware failure, could you try connecting your son's monitor to another computer?

Meanwhile, I just wanted to confirm, for clarity's sake, that you are receiving absolutely no monitor output. No boot screen, no flickering of the screen on startup, no nothing. Is this correct?

Also, another question: are you getting audio?

Sorry I don't have a more definite fix ready for you yet, but rest assured that we are working on it. :thumbsup:

Please reply back with answers to my questions, and let me know if your son's monitor works on another machine.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#11 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

:thumbsup: Hello Blade
Monitor does function on my daughters machine
I am not sure about sound system woofer does crackle upon power up
Boot machine the lights flash on key board so I am assuming it is posting?
Pc did have wierd video lines after running Flash_Disinfector.exe but I paid it know mind
Yes you are correct monitor has floating no signal output with nothing no bios nothing blank screen
If you would like I can install the card without functioning cooling fan to see if hardware is functioning
That is your call I have all the confidence in the world in you and appreciate your time...
Thanks John B.

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hello john baptist,

One possible cause of this could be a buildup of dirt/dust inside the PC. We have an excellent tutorial available on cleaning out the interior of your PC Here. I would like you to clean out the interior of your PC using this tutorial. It is important that you read the entire tutorial carefully before beginning. If you have any questions or run into any problems while doing this, stop and post them back here and we can clarify things for you.

As far as the extra video card goes, let's not try and install it right now. But, when you're cleaning out the PC keep an eye out for any visible damage (melted or cracked parts, etc). If you find anything suspicious, please let me know what part appears damaged, as well as a detailed description of the damage.

Hopefully this will fix the monitor problem.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#13 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

Good Morning Blade
I have cleaned machine it was not dusty I try to do it monthly
Inspected machine found no evidence of heat or blown caps
However I did find soft drink residue that migrated down wireless antenna and on to card
I removed all cards, cleaned, inspected and replaced them
Pushed down on all wire connections
The soft drink residue did not appear to hit the mother board or sockets I examined it with a magnifying glass
Rebooted machine graphics worked got in to Windows safe mode
Decided to leave machine on last night to see results
Today machine was locked up again
Display had rainbow lines running vertical between icons during unresponsive period
Rebooted again lost video output no display nothing no output signal
I look forward to your suggestions and advice... John B

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Hello john baptist,

Well the good news is that this doesn't appear to be related to your malware problem; this is looking more and more like a hardware issue. I would now like to check and see if the video card is causing issues, but let's not use the spare card (the one with a broken fan). A non-functioning fan is basically a small heater, if we run your system with that in there we risk further hardware damage. Is the video card in your system, or your daughter's, compatible with your son's motherboard? Try this, and let me know if it helps.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 30 June 2009 - 04:26 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#15 john baptist

john baptist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

:thumbsup: Hello Blade
I must tell you I am really frustrated with my son's machine
I would like to bring you up to speed with my actions
I found a pci graphics card and installed it in the machine
It did give a display but locked up at the Bios screen
I rebooted again pressing F1 to enter setup screen read entering setup and locked again
I removed card uplugged machine drained power from power supply by holding startup button and removed battery
I was hoping that things might improve if bios was defauted
Reinstalled battery rebooted with on board graphics with no display
Monitor does notice when I unplugged video cable it says check cable other wise it says no signal when plugged in and machine is running
Upon boot fans do two cycle up's and mouse blinks twice I am not familiar with the machine enough to know if this is sop
I installed graphics card again with same result locking up in bios startup screen
I even tried booting with a usb stick installed {I guess because I am hoping for something good to happen} with the same results
One note is that you can here hardrive movement while it is locked up
I look forward to your reply and help thanks. John B

Edited by john baptist, 01 July 2009 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users