Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template:A 900$ Light Gaming Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $900

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Web browsing/light-medium Gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Google Sketchup,Safari 3,Paint.net

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Yes,I Play a "game"called Realflight G4.5,an Remote control plane simulator,verrry realistic graphics,very GPU dependent. Also FSX,and maybe CoD WaW.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? At most 4.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No,not at all.

Do you have an Potential candidate? MSi Gx620-001US{it is $850,not $950} It has a Turbo feature that will overclock the CPU to 2.8GHz.

Do you have any last preferences Yes,preferably the laptop is an 15-16 inch screen,and not wild looking,hopefully just a basic black.

Edited by sonicjet, 23 June 2009 - 07:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

The MSI is an okay PC, but if you want to run demanding games like FSX, you will need a higher performing graphics card that comes with a decent stock speed out-of-the-box. The problem is, in order to use a large graphics card you need a desktop computer. However, if you insist on a laptop, I would go for the ASUS F50 Series F50SV-A1. It comes with a dedicated 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M video card which can handle many games well, though high performance games will still be a problem. It also has 4GB of RAM and a 2.4GHz. Core 2 Duo. You can overlock its processor too, but overclocking on a laptop can be problematic. This is a gaming laptop so battery life is quite low.

3939.png

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

The MSI is an okay PC, but if you want to run demanding games like FSX, you will need a higher performing graphics card that comes with a decent stock speed out-of-the-box. The problem is, in order to use a large graphics card you need a desktop computer. However, if you insist on a laptop, I would go for the ASUS F50 Series F50SV-A1. It comes with a dedicated 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M video card which can handle many games well, though high performance games will still be a problem. It also has 4GB of RAM and a 2.4GHz. Core 2 Duo. You can overlock its processor too, but overclocking on a laptop can be problematic. This is a gaming laptop so battery life is quite low.

Ok,I will look at that but using it for FSX is almost a maybe for me,Probably should have put that in,thanks for responding,also,I am leading for something...almost "rat" looking,you know,not fancy,I'm not too keen on the ascetics(and price) on the Asus,how overclockable do you think the 9600m gt is?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

9600M is a mobile graphics card. They aren't designed for overclocking and can get hot very quickly. The Asus looks like a generic laptop to me, but I buy computers for what is inside the case. The good thing about the Asus isn't just that it contains a newer graphics chip than the 9600M, but that it contains 1GB of dedicated GPU memory. This means it will not take away from overall system RAM for graphics processing. No laptop will provide a decent gaming experience. If it does, it may be on low settings or will be obsolete within a year.

3939.png

#5 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

9600M is a mobile graphics card. They aren't designed for overclocking and can get hot very quickly. The Asus looks like a generic laptop to me, but I buy computers for what is inside the case. The good thing about the Asus isn't just that it contains a newer graphics chip than the 9600M, but that it contains 1GB of dedicated GPU memory. This means it will not take away from overall system RAM for graphics processing. No laptop will provide a decent gaming experience. If it does, it may be on low settings or will be obsolete within a year.

Is that 1Gb of DDR2 or DDR3?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

The graphics memory is dedicated DDR2 VRAM. Many lower priced laptops use standard DDR or DDR2 and are often integrated cards. I haven't seen many sub $1000 laptops with dedicated GDDR based memory, though I'm sure there are some. GDDR memory is specifically used for graphics cards. If you want more information on the Asus, here is the specifications page at their website.

3939.png

#7 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

The graphics memory is dedicated DDR2 VRAM. Many lower priced laptops use standard DDR or DDR2 and are often integrated cards. I haven't seen many sub $1000 laptops with dedicated GDDR based memory, though I'm sure there are some. GDDR memory is specifically used for graphics cards. If you want more information on the Asus, here is the specifications page at their website.

That MSi is 512 GDDR3.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:52 AM

According to the MSI website and Newegg, it uses DDR3 not GDDR3 and only 512MB of it with an older GeForce 9. Though, technically DDR3 is slightly faster than DDR2, the use of a newer video card type and 1GB of video memory would make the Asus better graphically. The Asus also has a larger screen and a slightly faster processor. Regardless of which model you choose, they will be high performers that will have less than two hours of battery life.

3939.png

#9 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

According to the MSI website and Newegg, it uses DDR3 not GDDR3 and only 512MB of it with an older GeForce 9. Though, technically DDR3 is slightly faster than DDR2, the use of a newer video card type and 1GB of video memory would make the Asus better graphically. The Asus also has a larger screen and a slightly faster processor. Regardless of which model you choose, they will be high performers that will have less than two hours of battery life.

Hey how's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834152095
It is the same laptop with a better graphics card,1Gb DDR3 Vram
I am not interested in an larger screen,I like the small screen,plus the Turbo mode on the MSi clocks it much faster than the Asus,2.7GHz
I will mostly be running it on AC power.

Edited by sonicjet, 25 June 2009 - 06:09 AM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Don't expect wonders with turbo mode as laptops are still underpowered. The problem with turbo mode is that it overclocks the CPU but does not have desktop-type cooling for the CPU. This may cause cooling issues as many higher performing laptop CPUs run very hot at stock speeds. If you're willing to go past $1,000, then the ASUS N51Vf-X1 has an even better GPU than either of the first two laptops.

Edited by DJBPace07, 25 June 2009 - 02:49 PM.

3939.png

#11 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Don't expect wonders with turbo mode as laptops are still underpowered. The problem with turbo mode is that it overclocks the CPU but does not have desktop-type cooling for the CPU. This may cause cooling issues as many higher performing laptop CPUs run very hot at stock speeds. If you're willing to go past $1,000, then the ASUS N51Vf-X1 has an even better GPU than either of the first two laptops.

I did some research on both the video cards,the results are...intresting....
9800M GS
GT130m
Also....
Asus N51Vf-X1\
MSi GT627

Also that 9800M GS is just an 9800M GTS under clocked,and the under-clock actually does not make any heat difference,just a 10 watt less power consumption,I am not afraid to flash the stock BIOS on the GS to those of the GTS,as seen here: A guide to flashing the BIOS on the Nvidia 9800M GS
thus giving me this: Nvidia 9800M GTS
I will also be purchasing an laptop cooler.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

A GeForce 9800M GTS is not that much of an upgrade over the 9800M GS, as you can see at GPUReview. NVidia's been rebranding their GeForce 9 cards into the GT and GTS cards, they are essentially the same as the 9 series but using a different manufacturing process. Remember, depending on the manufacturer, flashing the BIOS may void your warranty. Since you're keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time, why don't you want a desktop PC? $1000 will get you a much higher performing desktop PC than a laptop.

3939.png

#13 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

A GeForce 9800M GTS is not that much of an upgrade over the 9800M GS, as you can see at GPUReview. NVidia's been rebranding their GeForce 9 cards into the GT and GTS cards, they are essentially the same as the 9 series but using a different manufacturing process. Remember, depending on the manufacturer, flashing the BIOS may void your warranty. Since you're keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time, why don't you want a desktop PC? $1000 will get you a much higher performing desktop PC than a laptop.

Well I dont want to be glued to a desk when it comes to computeing,I also don't have the space,the 950$ Core i7 powered desktops are very drawing but are simly not what I am looking for,I just want the best performance per buck ratio I can get.
Did you know that the MSi ,when in turbo mode, gets highter frames than an Alienware M15X in crysis?
MSi GT627:
Posted Image
Alienware M15X
Posted Image

Edited by sonicjet, 25 June 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

The graph doesn't prove much since there are no metrics or detailed stats on the Alienware since it can be configured by the purchaser. An i7 is extremely expensive and is designed for people with very high demands, a Phenom II X4 955 will more than meet most people's needs at about half the cost of an i7 940 in the desktop market. It's difficult to rate laptops for gaming as mobile chipsets aren't as highly reviewed as their desktop counterparts. Most gamers tend to avoid the things since they are obsolete within a year or so. Since you cannot upgrade them, buyers are stuck spending more cash at that point. Regardless of whichever laptop you choose, it will perform reasonably well for a laptop, but don't expect similar performance to that of a desktop.

Notebook Reviews - ASUS G50Vt-X1 Review <<<It's the older model they are reviewing.
[H]ardOCP Forum - Mobile Computing <<<This may help you, too.

3939.png

#15 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

The graph doesn't prove much since there are no metrics or detailed stats on the Alienware since it can be configured by the purchaser. An i7 is extremely expensive and is designed for people with very high demands, a Phenom II X4 955 will more than meet most people's needs at about half the cost of an i7 940 in the desktop market. It's difficult to rate laptops for gaming as mobile chipsets aren't as highly reviewed as their desktop counterparts. Most gamers tend to avoid the things since they are obsolete within a year or so. Since you cannot upgrade them, buyers are stuck spending more cash at that point. Regardless of whichever laptop you choose, it will perform reasonably well for a laptop, but don't expect similar performance to that of a desktop.

Notebook Reviews - ASUS G50Vt-X1 Review <<<It's the older model they are reviewing.
[H]ardOCP Forum - Mobile Computing <<<This may help you, too.

sorry for the late reply,The alienware is:
::Processor
Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8 GHz
:: Memory
2048 MB, DDR2 PC5300 667MHz, 2x1024MB, max. 4096MB
:: Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX - 512 MB, Core: 500 MHz, Memory: 799 MHz, GDDR3, Forceware 167.55, 7.15.11.6755
:: Harddisk
200 GB - 7200 rpm
All I am trying to beat is a 2.2GHz C2D,with an GeForce 8300 GS and 3GB ram.

Edited by sonicjet, 26 June 2009 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users