Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brainoblood

brainoblood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

A few days ago some random pop-ups starting appearing on my computer, so I quickly ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program. As I suspected, it detected a Trojan. The log showed this:

Registry Values Infected: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\system tool

Files Infected: C:\Windows\sysguard.exe

I quarantined and removed the items and everything seemed fine again until about a day later when I attempted to go online and suddenly had no internet access. Both IE and Firefox return a Page Not Found screen.

Here's what I've tried:

I contacted my service provider and verified that my modem was still connecting through the DSL line.

I switched out the Ethernet cable from my modem to the computer.

I double-checked that my Local Area connection was set up to obtain DNS servers automatically.

I did a DNS flush from the command screen.

I've tried repairing the connection from the Network Connections screen.

I tried resetting the IP address.

I tried a Winsock reset.

I've tried connecting with Firewalls turned off.

I've run the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program a few times since then and have found nothing more.

I've tried running the Installation Set-Up disc for my modem and it says the modem can not be found.

I don't have a zip drive to copy my HijackThis scan results, but I did notice this line:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing)

I'm sorry I can't provide more information at the moment. I had to scribble down notes at home so that I could post this at work. Amny suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Hi brainoblood,

This is what you have: system tool sysguard.exe X Added by the Troj/FakeAle-LY Trojan.

For this infection, you will need to get help from the HijackThis forum. Please look through the Preparation Guide and see if you can do anything at all without an internet connection. Usually it's possible to download tools onto a flash drive or a read-only cd and run them from that. This allows you to get a start against the virus. If not, please post a link to this thread there, and ask them how to proceed. The HijackThis forum is very busy, so please be patient (like one-two weeks patient).

Thanks.
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users