Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive has bad block. Could it be Nero?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dmoyer07

dmoyer07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been trying for about 8 months to resolve a DVD drive problem (which is embarrassing considering my computer background), and am just now mustering up enough courage to actually ask for help.

The original problem started last fall when trying to play a new computer game (Fallout 3 to be specific), which happens to be on a DVD instead of a CD. It seemed like a dice roll whether my DVD drive would recognize the disc upon startup. I narrowed the problem to Nero, such that if I changed the default recording device to my CD drive, then back to my DVD drive, after a while it would eventually detect the DVD. I've tried reinstalling the drivers/firmware for the DVD drive (Toshiba SD-R5372V), uninstalling, reinstalling, and finally uninstalling Nero for good, registry scans, malware scans (most recently RSIT and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware), and uninstalling/reinstalling the drive with the device manager and add new hardware wizard. Turns out that last option seems to have killed it, giving the "windows cannot read from this disk. the disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows" message. I thought it was completely dead until it magically launched the autoplay on the DVD a couple days ago. After a restart, however, no cigar. It was brought to my attention on another forum that an event log contained an interesting entry I should post here:

Computer Name: GATEWAY-DAVID
Event Code: 7

Could that possibly be the demon living in my drive? I'm gonna kill that jerk.

I have Windows XP by the way.

I sincerely appreciate any help that could be offered.

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Some things you can try:

1. Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
2. Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users