Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install Vista and partition the hard disk best?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

How can I install Vista on a new PC (e.g. with the system, recovery CD) and partition the hard disk (with e.g. Acronis Disk Director)? Is doing it possible in one step? Or would I have to first install Vista completely and then partition the hard disk after?

Nice greetings, Dirk

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Depending on how your recovery disks work, they are likely going to create a default set of partitions. Once the system is installed, then you can use the built in partitioner to alter the partitions how you want.

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

Many thanks, groovicus,

I would have thought Windows operating systems like XP, Vista do create always one single partition when installing them (I do not remember anymore thought just installed one), never more. Actually I would rather use Acronis Disk Director to partition, I assume it is a better program, than using the one of Windows / Vista.

And I have heard to partition an already existing operating system should be more insecure, instable or something like that, as doing it at first and then install the operating system. But may be it isn't like that. And if so, I would install first and then use Acronis.

Many thanks again, nice greetings, Dirk

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users