Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade for Notebook...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whataturk

Whataturk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Hi All,
Just joined the site today after reading posts for the past few months. This site has been very helpful...
I have a Compaq R3240US notebook.
Here are the specs according to the product information:

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+
Current Speed 800 MHz
Cache Size 1024 KB
Total Capacity 512 MB
Bank 1 256 MB
Bank 2 256 MB

I've been working with Digital Video, editing with Adobe Premier, and was considering upgrading my RAM from 512MB to 1G. After looking on newegg for a RAM upgrade, I realized that I have no idea what sort of RAM my computer supports...I tried to find out which ram to buy on the compaq site but couldn't come up with anything...
Does anyone have any idea where I could find out?
Also, I was considering buying a bigger external hard drive (my current is 60G)...I considered Maxtor or Western Digital...are these good options?
Thanks
Erol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

You can go to one of these sites, plug in your computer specs, and they'll give you suggestions as to what type of RAM you can use:
Crucial
Kingston
Corsair
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Whataturk

Whataturk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

Thanks so much TG1911,
I went to the kingston site and this is what they gave me:

System Memory Configuration
Standard Memory: 256MB (Non-removable) +
0MB (Removable) = 256MB total or
256MB (Removable) = 512MB total
Maximum Memory: 1.25GB
Expansion: 1 Socket
CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium M 2.8 GHz
Bus Architecture: PC Card; USB
Mfgr's System P/N's: PF153UA

Bank Schema
256MB Standard:
[256 MB] (Non-Removable)
Empty Socket
512MB Standard:
[256 MB] (Non-Removable)
Filled Socket 256

While this info was exactly what I'm looking for, I'm still not exactly sure what this means...Is it possible to swap the two current 256 sticks for two 512 sticks? Or does the "non-removable" part mean that I can only put in a 512 or 1gb stick? Would I loose dual channel capabilities by doing this? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get *at least* 1GB of Ram, without losing dual channel capabilities....
Any help would be most appreciated as I don't want to buy 2 sticks of 512 only to find I can only install one :thumbsup:
Thanks Again
Erol

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

Yes a slong as you only get the 2 512 meg sticks anyhting else it wont read

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:06 AM

You need to double-check how many expansion slots you have in the Notebook, it's no good buying two modules if you only have one slot.

Expansion: 1 Socket

See the Compaq memory upgrade help pages here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00035793

and also the Compaq 'Memory Configurator' says:

The model you chose
Presario R3200 Series
Slots 1 (1 bank of 1)
Max. Memory 1280MB
Installed Memory 256MB non-removable

- that would seem to imply that you can fit a 1024 MB stick in the 1 expansion slot. (1024MB+256MB non removable=1280MB) But they don't suggest a 1024MB stick on that page, only a 512MB stick :thumbsup:

Maybe you should ring them and get confirmation you can upgrade using a 1GB stick?

Edited by Rimmer, 06 July 2005 - 01:07 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Whataturk

Whataturk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

Thanks everyone...
Rimmer:
Would I be better off installing one 1GB module along with the 256MB module already in there? Or should I shoot for 2 512MB modules? I mean, is there any advantage to having the same amount of memory in each slot? You'll have to excuse my ignorance here. Someone mentioned something to me about dual channels or something like that...it's throwing me all off...I'm not even sure if my computer has dual channel capabilities to begin with!
I'd prefer to slap in a 1GB module and leave the other 256 in...that is, if this won't hinder performance in any way...
Any advice would be great...the people at compaq tell me a different thing each time I call...after keeping me on hold for a while that is.... :thumbsup:

Thanks again
Erol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users