Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Critical Update" Leads to Critical Info Theft

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Microsoft Corporation regularly issues updates to fix bugs and security vulnerabilities in its software products...
Close to the weekend, we identified spam...claiming to be a Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express critical update that “offers the highest levels of stability and security.” A tricky difference here is that all the links in the email (the links to Contact Us, Privacy Statement, Trademarks, and Terms of Use) are legitimate–except one. The URL where the “critical update” may be downloaded looks legitimate, but hovering over the hyperlink (or checking the source code of the mail) reveals a totally different destination...

blog.trendmicro
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

....wow.....They're definitely getting smarter with this stuff.....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

Just remember folks:

Microsoft never sends (individual) e-mails announcing the availability of a new fix, but uses its OS integrated automatic update systems - namely Windows Update or Microsoft Update

http://www.malwarecity.com/blog/spyware-po...update-470.html

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

*headdesks* Duh....next time, I'll try to remember that. Thanks for the reminder CCRN396! I kind of forgot about that.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

M.S. Does not have the time to send every body a email that uses the operating systems. IMHO if you get a email of some sort of alarm from M.S. be care full. Check here on B.C. it just might save you a lot of problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users