Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a client that has an infection......

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am headed over to my client this morning to bail them out - they got an email from someone that claimed to be UPS with a zip file that they were instructed to print so they could go pick up their package - they opened it and the computer hasn't been running the same for quite some time

I got this same email - but know better and deleted it - so for grins, i downloaded the file this morning and AVG reports that it is a Trojan Horse Pakes.DTF, so I want to assume that she got the same email and has the same infection.

I have ran malwarebytes on the machine once in a quick scan and it cleaned 60+ "infections" so I thought it was all good - i got a call yesterday and it's still acting up - so I started a FULL scan last night before I left and within minutes, it found 4 "infections"

I Love Malwarebytes, and have never NOT had it fully clean anything I have thrown at it thus far - except this one -

any suggestions? Is there a more powerful application?

I know - she should have had antivirus - and well get that - but first, I have to get this cleaned up.

I don't have the luxury to submit a hijackthis log and wait as I'm being paid by the hour - I realize this is not your typical "request" for help, but I'm hoping for a couple suggestions to try when I get there - is that too much to ask? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Moved, since OP is asking for suggestions and not help with logs

Edited by garmanma, 23 June 2009 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Download and install SuperAntiSpyware from www.superantispyware.com. Once it is installed, boot the computer into safe mode and run a quick scan. (SAS is designed to work best in safe mode).
Post the SAS log if it finds anything in your next post.

I recommend Avira free antivirus for my customers. It is free, easy to setup a variety of scans (ie. Full system scan, windows system files only scan, etc), and updates itself automatically. You just have to remember to disable the nag screen that pops up every time it updates itself. Post back if you need the info for that.

I come across systems that MBAM can't fully clean all the time. I recommend MBAM, Superantispyware, and Spybot: S&D. For infections that those 3 can't clean, I come here and end up running whatever is recommended.

Edited by possumbarnes, 23 June 2009 - 11:28 AM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 zarraza

zarraza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Download and install SuperAntiSpyware from www.superantispyware.com. Once it is installed, boot the computer into safe mode and run a quick scan. (SAS is designed to work best in safe mode).
Post the SAS log if it finds anything in your next post.

I recommend Avira free antivirus for my customers. It is free, easy to setup a variety of scans (ie. Full system scan, windows system files only scan, etc), and updates itself automatically. You just have to remember to disable the nag screen that pops up every time it updates itself. Post back if you need the info for that.

I come across systems that MBAM can't fully clean all the time. I recommend MBAM, Superantispyware, and Spybot: S&D. For infections that those 3 can't clean, I come here and end up running whatever is recommended.

Is that Avira free for COMMERCIAL use? or is it only for home/personal use? ( I don't want to violate the T&C of the software so I have to ask)

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

Is that Avira free for COMMERCIAL use? or is it only for home/personal use? ( I don't want to violate the T&C of the software so I have to ask)

It is free for home use only.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 June 2009 - 01:17 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 zarraza

zarraza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

It is free for home use only.

thanks for the info - looks like it's back to symantec endpoint protection then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users