Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Autoplay keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 merryclicker

merryclicker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

I keep getting a small window, similar to an installation window, that says Autoplay, it appears for a few seconds and then disappears. It has the "search flashlight", so I'm pretty sure it came with something I uninstalled, and I DO use the Remove Programs function, but I don't know what it was. The only Autoplay I found was with RealPlayer, which I've since uninstalled, but the window keeps appearing.

I've opened Task Manager and tried to see if I could find it there, when it would appear, but nothing shows up. I've been checking the processes listed, and they seem to be okay. It appears when I play purchased games (the only kind I have), read email, browse (Netscape 7.2), whatever. Anyone know what program this might have come with and how to get rid of it?

(And does anyone know what the symptoms of a dying LED mouse might be?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

I am assuming you have Windows XP.

Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard
Overview
The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard scans your computer devices to find defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

#3 merryclicker

merryclicker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

I did that - Netscape won't "run" an exe from the download screen, so I switched to IE - but the autofix found errors only on the memory card slots, not on anything else, and I don't use those. The same autoplay window came up while it was testing the CD/DVD drive. I had a CD in it, and now wonder if it was trying to autoplay something on the CD... I guess I'll have to investigate that. Thanks for your help. I really thought I'd have to wait days for an answer!

Now I've bookmarked this. Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users