Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC hangs/freezes for awhile

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

I have a pc that's 5 years old. Recently I've noticed 100% pc usage(via the performance tab in the task manager). I've scanned my pc for malware or viruses but nothing was found. Then yesterday, My OS would load very slow. I think it takes about 30 seconds for it to load to the welcome screen. So what I did was I went to the technician to let them repair my pc. Then after a day, they said that they cleaned the pc fan because it was so full of dust. So I went home and tried my newly cleaned pc. The prob is that the OS still loads very slow. Scanned the pc again and nothing was found. So Im suspecting that it could be another problem, and I think this is a hardware problem. Anyway, can you help me find out what the problem could be? Any help is appreciated.

Anyway, here are my pc specs:

Intel®Pentium 4® CPU 2.40GHz
Motherboard model: PT800CE-A
RAM: DDR, 512MB

That's all I can think of to post. Please post your suggestions and help me with my problem.

Edited by VaynardX, 23 June 2009 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Lots of things can slow a PC down so here are some suggestions to try and narrow down the cause:

1. It may have 512mb of ram installed, but does Windows see 512mb? Possible bad memory dimm is causing this. That's an easy and cheap thing to fix. It's also an easy thing to test. Download and create a memory testing boot CD using memtest86. You'll find instructions on how to use memtest86 at the download site, but if you have questions about it, just ask. Basically, you'll download it and burn the .iso image to a CD. This creates the bootable memtest disk. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive first and it will boot up and start running tests on your memory. It is best to let the tests run for at least 24 hours.

2. Can you boot into safe mode and does it run normally there? If it does, then I recommend accessing msconfig (go to START-RUN and type msconfig), go to the Startup tab, and uncheck everything listed to start up when Windows starts. Then reboot it into normal mode and see if it is still slow. If it is, then go back into msconfig and recheck everything because a starting process is not the cause. If it has sped up some, then you'll have to recheck those start up processes one at a time until you find the one that is slowing you down.

3. You say you've scanned for malware and viruses, but did not mention what you used to scan it with. You should only have one virus scanner, but you need 3 or more spyware scanners as a minimum.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Yes, I am quite positive that it sees 512MB RAM. I've used ESET NOD32 as my virus scanner and Malwarebytes as my malware scanner. Ive downloaded speedfan so that I can see the temperatures inside of my pc and after firing up the program, Ive seen 62degrees celsius temperature! It says Temp2: 58-65 degrees celsius. What could be the problem? And can this heat damage the pc?

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Yes, the heat can most certainly damage the computer. You need to make sure you have enough airflow thru it. Take the cover off and check it for dust. Also, check for an intake and exhaust fan. If the only fan you have is the CPU fan, then you may want to get an exhaust fan as a minimum.

Also, download CCleaner and install it. After its installed, start the program and click the Run Cleaner button. A warning box will pop up, check the box to never warn again and let it clean all the junk from Windows. After that, run the registry scan tool in ccleaner and fix all the errors it finds. I've used CCleaner for at least 2 years now and have never had an issue with it removing something that was needed and screwing up the computer. There are a lot of tools out there that can do what CCleaner does, but I've used it for so long and I know it works, so that's the one I always recommend.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

I reckon that it is the fan. We only have one pc fan installed. Hmm, so it could be the hardware problem?

#6 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

I wouldn't suspect a cooling issue to cause Windows to boot slower or to slow the computer down at all. Usually, if a computer is overheating, you'll just have a lot of lock ups or flat out shut downs.

Are you able to boot into safe mode and check it out per the post above?

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Did the repair shop remove the heatsink from the CPU? They may not have renewed the Thermal Paste and the CPU could be getting too hot.

There are ways to measure your board and/or CPU temperature. Some of them are listed within BIOS.

You can also download a program called Speed Fan from here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

After installing, it will go out and find the sensors that are within the construction of the Motherboard. It will also give you hard drive temps and fan RPMs.

Just an FYI, I loaded that onto an old Dell and it could not see any sensors, probably because of the age of the Dell.

Good luck.

DR

#8 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

@possumbarnes

I've tried to boot it in safe mode but it's still the same.

@rigacci

I've downloaded Speedfan too and there is one Temp(namely Temp2) that shows that it is as hot as 62 degrees celcius! I think this is already a hardware problem. I want to bring this to the shop again, but what will I say to the repair man?

EDIT:

And I would also like to add, when I start the PC, some fan's loud like a helicopter's propeller starting up then quiets down at about 15-20 seconds. What could be the cause?

Edited by VaynardX, 23 June 2009 - 07:25 PM.

#9 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

And I would also like to add, when I start the PC, some fan's loud like a helicopter's propeller starting up then quiets down at about 15-20 seconds. What could be the cause?

That's the BIOS controlling the fan speed. When it first starts up, the fan is at full rpm. After it gets started, it slows the fan speed down to the minimum needed to maintain temp below whatever it is set at. If the fan is slowing down, then overheating is most likely not your issue.

If it is slow in safe mode, I would run tests on your memory using memtest86. You'll need to download the .iso image file from here. Download the .iso image of Memtest86 3.5 version for your operating system. Once you have it downloaded, use your CD burning (hopefully you have a burner) software to burn an image. Select the .iso image that you downloaded and this will create a bootable CD of memtest86. Set your BIOS to boot from the CD first and boot up on the memtest CD. The tests will begin to run automatically and you need to let them run for 24 hours minimum.

If you're sure your system is clean of malware, the memory is the next step I would take. It's also about the easiest thing to test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users