Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't enter or get Safe Mode to work!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:02 AM

I haven't needed to use Safe Mode for about a month or two. But after I installed Comodo's security suite free version my desktop would freeze due to a damaged file that belonged to Comodo.
Ok so I restarted and hit F8 to get into safe mode as I have done a zillion times in the past when troubles arise. Selected Safe Mode selected My OS and then the screen where windows system32 is loading all the Safe Mode drivers. When the list of drvier's zips by and gets to the bottom it just sits there and nothing happens. It stays frozen on the screen that shows the list of drivers loading, and my towers busy light stays on but there's no hard drive activity going on from what I can tell.

Window boots up just fine in normal mode and everything works the way it should after I was able to uninstall Comodo which took forever since everything would freeze in half an hour intervals. I don't know if Comodo has or had anything to do with safe mode messing up, I'm only mentioning it because it's the only reason that has made me need to use safe mode in a while.
Safe Mode might have been messed up before I ever even installed Comodo for all I know. But safe mode worked just fine the last time I needed it about a month or two ago.

I tried the other options to enter safe mode too, like with command prompt etc... to no luck.

PS: I also had installed a program before Comodo called Spydllremover since it had good reviews and seemed to be trusted but when I ran it nothing showed up and computer froze, restarted and Spydllremover.exe was in task manager but nothing else no start menu folder or uninstall program etc.... So I stopped the service and removed everything associated with Spydllremover and everything seemed ok afterwards.

Thanks hope you guys can help.

Edited by ghead, 23 June 2009 - 01:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

<<So I stopped the service and removed everything associated with Spydllremover and everything seemed ok afterwards.>>

Did you remove associated registry entries?

I suggest running a thorough series of malware checks...and then running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. After onscreen blurb pops up, type Y in response and hit Enter. Reboot the system, the chkdsk /r command will run, then the system will reboot into XP after command has completed.

Louis

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

I ran chkdsk and it was taking so long that I fell asleep. So after I woke up my computer was back to it's desktop so I don't know how checkdisk works exactly, if it leaves a log file that I can check or what?

I still can't get safe mode to work though.
any other ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

You could run msconfig...and enable the safeboot option...and see if it will enter safe mode on the next boot.

Kind of risky, if you ask me, since the system could be stumped when trying to do something it cannot do.

I suggest running the sfc /scannow command in an attempt to correct it. If that doesn't work, I'd try a repair install of XP.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Louis

A log of chkdsk /r activity can be found in the Event Viewer, Application tab, under Winlogon as the Source.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

Ok well I looked at the log file for checkdisk and everything seemed ok, it said that it cleaned up some minor inconsistencies on the drive and that was it. I have 0 bad sectors so that's good.

What is sfc /scannow? Whats the sfc stand for? Will it need any user input during or after it's done scanning?

I'm afraid of using msconfig to put in safe boot mode cause if it doesn't work won't it be stuck in safe boot mode then? Meaning I won't be able to boot up normally to change msconfig back to normal, unless I reinstalled my OS?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:36 AM

I believe sfc stands for system file checker. I have not used it in years but I think it will ask you to confirm that you want to restore whatever files it deems are in need of restoring from your windows cd.

I am not sure that you would have to reinstall your operating system if you get stuck in safe mode, but you are correct that you could get stuck there if you use that. I am afraid of using Msconfig to enter safe mode too.

I have no knowledge of how it works as I have never used it, but in the repair section of SuperAntiSpyware there is a tool to repair a broken safe mode key, which I think means restores your ability to enter safe mode. Doesn't seem like trying that could hurt anything.

Have you tried using System Restore to restore your computer to before you installed Comodo?

Edited by Stang777, 30 June 2009 - 04:39 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#8 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

I restored my computer to before comodo and that didn't work.
I think I might have figured it out "maybe" if my memory serves me right.
I remember at one time using advanced system care program to remove some unused files and I can't be certain but I think one of the files might have had .sys at the end. Which might have been the reason since it would be gone forever now. I'm usually really really careful with that program and make backups since you can easily destroy your system with it, but that one time I didn't use my normal level of care and maybe I'm paying for it now.

I have a huge problem in using system file checker because when you run it, it automaticly removes files that don't match and asks you to restore them. The problem with that is my OS cd is service pack 2 files and service pack 3 OS files are whats running now so it gives me the message that it can't restore the file and then I have to do a system restore just to get back the files it removed during "system file checker".

I could maybe try superantispyware tool but I've learned that superantispyware can't be trusted like most people think.
It snoops through files and makes suspect tmp folders it shouldn't and sends them over the net to IP's that I can't seem to trace (behaves like a trojan if you ask me) . If I do use it's tool, I'll be sure to Revo uninstall it right after.

In the mean time I'll read those links you posted hamluis and see if anything there helps.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

You could always update your XP install CD...by slipstreaming a CD which reflects SP3. It makes continued life with XP easier.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

I could maybe try superantispyware tool but I've learned that superantispyware can't be trusted like most people think.
It snoops through files and makes suspect tmp folders it shouldn't and sends them over the net to IP's that I can't seem to trace (behaves like a trojan if you ask me) . If I do use it's tool, I'll be sure to Revo uninstall it right after.

I read that post last night and since I had never noticed it doing that but wanted to make sure, I ran the program last night and used my firewall to block it from being able to access the internet. I then checked my firewall logs today to check if it did that, according to my logs, there was no connection attempt made by SuperAntiSpyware at any time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users