Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeware List Updated

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

For those of you that were wondering if it would ever get done, the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps list, has been updated. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

Most excellent!

Some of those programs I can actually afford.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for taking on a thankless task, TG. I know everyone will appreciate the updated list. I am always referring to it myself, and linking to it in helping others.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

Many hundred thank you's! :thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

Many thanks to you x100, tg1911.....and finally! The list is up to date just in case!

Edited by scff249, 25 June 2009 - 11:14 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 tnlady620

tnlady620

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

You folks are simply awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

Hi tg1911,

The freeware replacements thread is an update of a thread that was started in 2004. At some point, probably sooner rather than later, one or the other link in this thread will change. Is there any easy way to change this to reflect the current date of the updated information?

Something as simple as modifying the introductory statement to include that this thread is constantly being updated?

Thanks.
Zllio

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:15 AM

Is not

This list was last updated June 22, 2009

This post has been edited by tg1911: Jun 22 2009, XX:51 PM

at the end of the list sufficient? The actual time stamp will coincide with your forum selected timezone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

In my opinion, it's not. When you click on the link to that thread, it opens up to a thread dated 2004. If you click on a link within the thread and it happens to bring up a 404 error, I don't know if someone would think to look at the editing notation in fine print at the bottom. Some would, some wouldn't.

It's not my business. Just something that crossed my mind several times, because recently I ran into a whole set of old links for all the online scans and didn't know anyone was in the process of updating the list.

Thanks.
Zllio

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

Ah, Now I understand why you made the suggestion. I couldn't figure out what the catalyst for the idea was. Now that you have explained a scenario, it makes sense. We will look into a method of providing a clearer update notification for that thread. Thank you for the idea and the clear, concise explanation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Animal.

Right at the top of the first post where Grinler writes: "I thought a beneficial topic to everyone,...", it would be easy enough to set that starting statement down a couple lines and at the very first point in the first post put in:

Last updated: June 25th 2009

In being located right at the beginning of the thread, it would fall exactly under the 2004 date and it would be hard to miss.

Zllio

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Better? :thumbsup:

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Also, in regards to bad links, I have posted in Post #5:

If you find any links that don't work, or that don't lead to where they are supposed to, please post them as a reply to this topic, or send me a PM.

It might take a while to update the list, but when someone points out a bad link, I try to take care of it, immediately, so be sure to let me know about them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

I like what you've done with that thread, tg1911.

Good work - much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#14 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

cool! Thanks tg1911!

I love what you've done with the list too! Very great! Many thanks. :thumbsup:

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for taking up that monumental task tg1911. And much thanks to Zllio for his excellent idea. Given the length of the post, one has to do a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom to find the edit time stamp even for those of us that know it's there.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users