Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't start up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Brandt

John Brandt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

Okay, I'm working on my mothers Gateway M series laptop (vista home premiumx32). It's refurbished, and over a year old. We have just given it a brand new hdd as the last one was crap. It's dvd drive seems to work off and on, anyways, yesterday I was able to boot it up and install vista no problem. It was working fine, I had dloaded a bunch of stuff for it. But today, I got some automatic updates for it, and it will not start up.
Tried booting into safe mode, but it hangs up on crcdisk.sys, booting it up into last good config does not work, Pressing f8 at the startup screen does nothing, and currently the dvd drive isn't responding.
I have the vista dvd in the drive, but It will not read it, nor eject it; so unless it starts working I cannot create an iso of it on our pc (it's specifically for refurbished gateways) so that option is more or less ruled out. The normal vista home premium disk didn't work to install it, as it is a SATA dvd drive and that conflicts with the vista install. I know there's a fix around that (disabling ide emulation) but IDK how to do that, anyways that's off topic.

Any ideas?

Also, all of today I got the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL twice. I did update my graphics driver to try to fix this, and that was also when vista installed the updates. So, it could be one or the either, the updates or the new gfx driver.

Edited by John Brandt, 22 June 2009 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John Brandt

John Brandt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

Got the dvd out - created a backup iso on my pc.

Got it to boot up from the dvd, vista loads the files from the dvd. then I get a blue screen with the tech info of "*** STOP: 0x0000C1F5 0x00000000,0x000000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)"

FIXED - Wiped hdd and reinstalled.

Edited by John Brandt, 22 June 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#3 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Looks like you got things buttoned-up here, but feel free to post anything else if you're still looking.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users