Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor quality on all media files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Infinity80

Infinity80

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi

Ever since i used combofix to remove malware, the quality of my media files has deteriorated. What i have noticed though, when i logged on using the safe mode option, the quality of the media files is identical.

So far i have uninstalled/reinstalled my klite code pack and reset my video card settings, but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Edited by Infinity80, 22 June 2009 - 08:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

You said you reset settings, did you reinstall the driver?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Infinity80

Infinity80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hi garmanma

Thank you for reading and responding to my post.

Yes, I have uninstalled/reinstalled my video drivers, but it made no difference.

I will explain what happened while running combofix. Even though I disabled my security program, a message came up saying it was still active. Now this was a mistake, but I decided to shutdown my laptop, mainly because I thought it would complicate matters if i continued (talk about irony) once I logged back on to windows, my wallpaper had disappeared and the background was black. When I clicked on my documents, the folder icons had disappeared, but the names of the files remained underneath.

I tried running system restore, but it was unable to load. I then decided to run combofix again, but this time i let it run straight through. It managed to find a file called "C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\test.txt.vir". Once it had finished, i noticed my wallpaper had returned and so had the file icons.

The majority of my media files are from youtube, but i have just played a dvd and the picture quality is fine. It is the flv files that appear blotchy and blurry.

Thanks

Edited by Infinity80, 23 June 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

"C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\test.txt.vir

All that is , is the quarantine folder for Combofix

Since it's OK in safe mode, that means you have some process running or driver in full mode, acting up
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Infinity80

Infinity80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

I thought by uninstalling/reinstalling the video drives, it would have fixed the problem. As i have done the same with the k-lite codecs, i don't know what else to try.

Is there anything you could recommend garmanma.

Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

The only thing I have in my notes about sound problems after Combofix is this:

Check the Device Manager to see if there is corrupted driver or missing Codecs (given by the presence of ! or ?) under Sound, video and game controller.

Then Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel could be checked to see if under Audio tab the right Default device is selected. Also in the same location under Voice tab there is a Test Hardware ... button the user can use to test the hardware.

Under Audio tab, Sound playback section, under Default device at least one of the installed Codecs should be listed. In case the user has anything other than the Windows Audio Codecs the third party Codecs should be listed there. Otherwise the third party Codecs (like Creative SoundBlaster) should be installed or if already listed should be selected. Also there is an option at the bottom of the Audio tab "Use only default devices " that should be unchecked

Mark
Posted Image

#7 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

You say the video is lower quality, can you explain what you mean? pixelation? distortion? too bright?

If you can let me know how we may be able to help you a little more!

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users