Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for free Antivirus & Spyware software??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi,
I have Norton 360 Version: 3.0.0.134, and it is about to expire. Times are tough and I cannot afford the fee to continue service.

Does anyone have any recommendations of free programs that i can install? The Norton 360 i have has the following features: Virus & Spyware scans, auto protection, smart firewall, antinspyware, intrusion protection, browser protection, and email protection.

Thank you for any help you have, I appologize if i have placed this post in the wrong forum. i do that sometimes.

jame :thumbsup:
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

This thread might help http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I personally recommend Avira's Antivir Personal for an Anti-Virus

Edited by Blade Zephon, 22 June 2009 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hello,
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Free Antivirus Programs
*You should only use one antivirus program

AVAST
AVG
AVIRA

Free Antispyware Programs

SUPERAntispyware Free Edition
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spyware Terminator
*Provides Real-time protection. During download, you will first be prompted to download Web Security Guard Toolbar.This program is similar to McAfee Site Advisor. You can bypass the Web Security Guard by scrolling down to the Free Antispyware protection section.
*During Setup, you will again be prompted to download Web Security Guard. Be sure to uncheck it if you do not want it.
Spyware Blaster
*Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
*Click Here to view the spywareblaster tutorial.

Free FireWalls
*You should only use one firewall

Comodo Firewall *Comes bundled with Comodo Antivirus->when prompted to not download Antivirus if you already have an Antivirus program.
*Note: During download, you will be asked if you wish to install Safe Search which comes bundled with the Ask.com toolbar. Many experts consider this toolbar to be ADWARE. I would recommend that you "uncheck" this option. For more information click HERE
or
Zonealarm
*Note: During download, you will be asked if you wish to install ZoneAlarm Spyblocker which comes bundled with the Ask.com toolbar. Many experts consider this toolbar to be ADWARE. I would recommend that you "uncheck" this option. For more information click HERE

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

A nice setup in my opinion:

Outpost Firewall Free
Avira AntiVir Personal Free Edition
WinPatrol
SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Web of Trust (WOT)

:thumbsup:

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:41 AM

Whatever setup you choose you should add WOT and OpenDNS, it helps prevent malware from getting on your computer. And of course you should follow safe computing practices.

#6 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

i use free.avg.com

#7 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

I intalled Avast!and Comodo Firewall ysterday and had many problems...its a longo tello, but small part of it is that I would get a system shutdown everytime I click IE...so I uninstalled both and will pick again.

I use SUPERAntispyware Free Edition and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to eliminate problems already...I am looking for good firewall and preventative programs and ya'll have given me many tremendous ones to choose from.

Edited by jaysnzees, 23 June 2009 - 06:36 AM.

What is thy bidding? My Master?

#8 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:46 AM

I intalled Avast!and Comodo Firewall ysterday and had many problems...its a longo tello, but small part of it is that I would get a system shutdown everytime I click IE...so I uninstalled both and will pick again.

I use SUPERAntispyware Free Edition and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to eliminate problems already...I am looking for good firewall and preventative programs and ya'll have given me many tremendous ones to choose from.

I would suggest using AntiVir free and ThreatFire with Windows Firewall on, and as I've mentioned also WOT and OpenDNS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users