Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power on problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

I believe this is the correct forum for this as I'm having issues with my computer starting and my guess is part of my hardware has failed me.

Summary: Start the computer as normal, the fans start up, the router reads the computer, everything lights up. The motherboard doesn't beep stating everything's normal and it never shows anything on my monitor. Not even the BIOS splash, nor does the computer make the normal Vista start up noise when it gets to the login screen.

Edit: The keyboard doesn't light up or have the num lock turn on either.

What I know: Until now everything has been working. I normally leave my computer on shutting it down every so often at night so I can remote to it when I'm at work or away for the weekend. I accessed it just fine last night, however when I tried today I couldn't. Thinking we had a power outage or someone turned off my desktop I waited until I got home and noticed it running as above and tried restarting it/waking it out of sleep.

I have been having an issue with one of my new sticks of RAM being faulty giving me the BSOD (forget the error), but have been lazy and haven't bothered replacing it as I can restart and everything's fine. Could this, prolonged cause the computer to hang like this?

I'm at a loss as to what to call this for researching on my own so I'm throwing it out to the masses as to what can cause this so I know what, if anything that I need to replace.

My specs:
nVidia 9800GT
500GB Seagate SATA
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775
Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX motherboard
OCZ GameXStream OCZ850GXSSLI ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 850Watts Power Supply
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (x4; 2 new, 1 faulty)
ASUS VW222U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
Windows Vista Ultimate
McAfee Security Suite

All software and drivers are current as of last night. No known maleware and the system was cleaned Thursday.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Ingle, 22 June 2009 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'd start my search for answers...with the power supply, based on what you've posted thus far.

Louis

#3 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thanks.. Right now I'm down to the CPU, Power supply, and motherboard..

#4 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Update: It is the power supply.. I never would've guessed that it could die and still act like it's running everything.. Time to get a UPS instead of a surge protector with my new one.

Thanks again for the help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users