Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Of DEATH!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Widdybear77

Widdybear77

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Its the ONLY problem I have had with this really spectacular Sceptre 24 inch DVI/VGA monitor. The manufacturer said change my video card to Envidia, like I have that kind of money right now. I am a dyed in the wool Radeon Fan anyhow. Hate Envidia. [don't email me in crayon i just am not an Envidia fan] Envidia is a great product.
When I boot up everything is great UNTIL the Logon screen...then click, my monitor fades to BLACK. I here all the niffty ghostlike logon noises wafting through my room. But the monitor is total blackness. Happens many times on Vista hard drive and occasionally on the XP Hard Drive. So whats up and what can I do? {OMG don't send me basic info for kindergaden computer learners} I'm asking here because some of you are 'nerds' like I am and I need tweakable info. Send me some kind of info I can slap a command line to or something to fix this problem. I have 5 hard drives with 5 different Operating Systems that date back from the stoneage of computing to present day Vista 64. Just throw me some kind of Geek bone I can naw on.....going nuts here. :thumbsup:
Thanks
Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

restart the computer in safe mode (F8 while booting) and change the resolution (or the refresh rate)
If you don't see SAFE MODE - try VGA mode or whatever it may be called

I don't know if changing the driver would have caused the refresh rate to do this - but if the refresh rate is out of range of the monitor you will get the black screen

if you had a remote control program - like dameware or remote desktop and had another pc, you could simply connect in and make the change without powering down!

#3 Widdybear77

Widdybear77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Nope Nada not happening.......... :thumbsup:

But you know before I switched to DVI I had this monitor on VGA cable on a Pen 4....hmmm?
Really want the DVI though...
Thanks for input
Anything new?

KW :huh:

#4 Widdybear77

Widdybear77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Problem SOLVED!!!!

Turns out it was a small fopau on my part. I have an ATI Radeon 1gig dual DVI port graphics card. I had the monitor plugged into port 2 instead of the default port port 1. For this card if you have one monitor the computer will default the card at port 1. If anyone else has this problem try switching ports on your card.
Thanks for all your help..... :thumbsup:

#5 dandoty

dandoty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

I think you're really cool! I would like to know more about running multiple operating systems.

However, I think that you are facing a basic incompatability problem with the video card and the monitor.

I have seen the black screen of death several times myself. I believe that it means the video card does not support

the screen resolution that you were trying to run. To start, would you try to adjust your screen resolution lower, and see if

the monitor works? Obviously you may have to use your old smaller monitor to start the troubleshooting.

I am quite a good troubleshooter myself.

good luck, Daniel Doty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users