Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing a Power Supply!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I am trying to replace a Power Supply in a friends PC. His system is very old and runs windows 98. I'm assuming his issue is the power supply as it is completely dead when the power cable is connected and does nothing when you power it on. How do I decide on a suitable Power Supply to buy. Here is what the old Power Supply says:

400W, 12V ATX Intel, Intel P4. Power Supply 4.
AC Input 115V-230V
10A/6A 60/50 Hz.

I looked on New Egg and think that this power supply( see link below) would be compatible. Could someone double check this for me and tell me what out of the above specs is important when choosing a replacement power supply. Thanks for the help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139008

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Knowing the make/model of the computer will help with this but, if the machine uses a standard 400W ATX power supply then what you have picked on Newegg.com should be more than sufficient.

Only other reason to go higher wattage would be multiple peripherals installed inside the computer ( second hard drive, high-end video card, etc. ).

Good Luck,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users