Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 serialkiller

serialkiller

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

I am currently running 768mb of pc133 ram. I went to corsair's site and was informed that my pc is capable of running 2g of pc3200. It also said that pc2700 is an option. My question is would I notice a difference if I just put in 512mb of pc 2700 or 3200?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

Money is kind of tight right now.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

PC133 to PC2700 will give u a much noticible difference bcuz the operating speed of the two are totally different, i dont know what the speed of PC133 is, but the speed of PC2700 is 400mhz (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) but u wont be able to multitask with many programs with the reducing of the size. but overall u will have much faster loading times bcuz it doesnt have to wait for everything to process thru the RAM as long. but then again u can also try the PC3200

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

Pc 3200 is 200 mhz but it is called dual ram which pairs together making it 400mhz, you have to get 2 sticks though one wont do you any good.

#5 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:09 PM

you might want to double ck your info on what you are capable of adding to you sys.
if i'm not mistaken pc133 is sdram while pc2700/3200 ram is ddr...two totally different
memory configs...you can't put pc2700 ram into a board w/ pc133 slots...it's physically
impossible to do this...plus certain amounts of ram can actually lower an os performance...what os are you running?? if win98 you don't need more than 512mb as
that os will not utilize anything more that 512. win2k or xp will allow greater amounts of
memory to be installed...more info might help in giving you good info for your upgrade..

Edited by maj.stiffy, 04 July 2005 - 10:11 PM.

maj.stiffy

#6 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

I have 2 different slots for ram on my mobo. 2 slots wont accept the sdram so I assume it is for the ddr. I am using win xp. The main reason for the upgrade is for gaming. I just upped my power supply form 250w to 450w and saw a slight difference there but not what I was looking for.

#7 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

I have 2 different slots for ram on my mobo. 2 slots wont accept the sdram so I assume it is for the ddr.

you must not run two different types of memory in your board- dire consequences await, like sparks, smoke, and a dead motherboard.

essentially, you would be replacing your current 768MB of PC133 SDRAM with 512MB of some flavor of DDR.

you will notice a performance increase; it may or may not be dramatic depending on what you do with your PC. all DDR is run at faster clock speeds than SDRAM, and it all runs twice as fast anyway- HOWEVER, 768MB of RAM is more than most PCs will utilize anyway, and your CPU is probably not extra fast, so you may feel your money is not well spent.

DDR is run at several different speeds- most boards supoprt multiple speeds, but the memory MUST be the same speed. DDR200, or DDR266, or DDR333 (PC 2200, 2700, 3200).

personally, I'd put my pennies towards a new board, chip, GPU and memory rather than chuck it at upgrading a system that should be perfectly adequate for everything but cutting-edge gaming. save some dough, and get a better eveything all at once.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#8 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

I know not to mix sdram and ddr, that is not what I was going to do. I just wanted to know if there would be a difference from 768mb of sdram to 512mb of ddr.

I just pulled this from my mobo's website:

Chipset:
VIA P4M266 / VT8233A

Memory:
2 x 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM
2 x 168-pin SDRAM DIMM
PC2100 DDR SDRAM
PC133 SDRAM
Maximum 2GB

This is what it states I can use for my mobo. I just recieved 1gb of pc3200 today for my birthday, can I use it or should I exchange it for the pc2100. I would rather just buy all new stuff but I my pc isnt so old that I cant keep up for a little longer. A 2.4g P4 isnt that weak is it? I just figured that since I got the ddr for free I would use it.

#9 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

NOOO keep the pc 3200, its 400mgz, compared to 133 mgz. Kepp the pc 3200

#10 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

So its ok to install the pc3200 even though the site says pc2100?

#11 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:54 PM

It will take the pc 3200, then yuo have a lot of leaway to overclock the cpu

#12 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

Outstanding! Thanks for everyones help. I'll post back after the install.

#13 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

It will take the pc 3200, then yuo have a lot of leaway to overclock the cpu

I would be quite surprised if your overclocked P4 will change the RAM speed; I would be surprised if you can OC your chip at all. in any case, you do not need your ram to be faster frequency for that.

this suggestion is a bad one. be VERY careful if you do this. SOME motherboards with take DDR RAM and underclock it without a problem, many will not. you may also damage the RAM and render it unable to ever run at the proper frequncy. or fry the board. chips are designed and specced for a reason, and it is rarely wise to go chucking in anything that will fit in the slot.

this is not reccomended by any professional, including myself. you will be much safer to exchange the DDR3200, which runs at 400MHz, for the correct RAM for your motherboard.

also, there's nothing wrong with a P4 2.4- just a bit strange to see it on a dual-mem board- i thought those went out of fashion before the high clock P4s- i assumed it was a 1GHz Piii or early P4 or something. that chip is plenty fast to keep you going through another motherboard, GPU, etc.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#14 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Maybe it's just me... but why would anyone take any advice from someone who is in a 'Banned' group!!! Posted Image

BBPP6nz.png

#15 serialkiller

serialkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:36 PM

Oh snap! I put the pc 3200 in my pc and HOLY bleep!! I never thought that ram could make that much of a difference. I went from 15fps to 35fps on my favorite game ! I call that a noticable difference! Thanks to all that helped, especially gilmour. I will be back with my questions. Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users