Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sophocles30

sophocles30

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Does anyone know anything about virtual memory? I know very little. What's this about changing performance settings? What do you change them to? Help!
Sophocles30

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hi if you go to this site it can tel you more Virtual memory in windows xp at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/apvvm.htm.

If you need any more help i am not available until wednesday. because i have a book and there is 3 pages onthe above subject.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:07 PM

Are you getting messages about your memory being too low?

Virtual Memory:

Click on the start button / then Control Panel / then on System/ then on Advanced
Then Performance Options
Make sure the dot is filled in for Applications
Then click change Virtual Memory

The minimum should be 1.5 times your RAM size. The maximum should be three times your RAM. If problems still continue - raise the maximum. Keep raising it until you no longer get the messages.

The best solution would be to increase the amount of RAM in your system since the hard drive where virtual memory resides is much slower than RAM.

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

best way to do it is do as Enthusiast says but make it the same size min and max. If you got alot of disk space make it a gig so 1000 min 1000 max

#5 sophocles30

sophocles30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:16 AM

ok, thanks.
Sophocles30

#6 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

I had an idea but it was removed.Send me a PM if you want to know.
:thumbsup:

#7 sophocles30

sophocles30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

I got it all figured out thanks anyway.
Sophocles30

0 user(s) are reading this topic