Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Wireless and Wired Connection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 appage21

appage21

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Windows XP

Right now I have two issues, the main issue is every time I lose my internet connection(computer restart, reset router) I have to a netsh winsock reset before I can connect to the network. I'm able to connect to the network but I don't have access to the internet. It is not a issue with the router as I have another computer right next to this one that never experiences any problems. These problems started a few days ago after I used a registry cleaner.

Now my wired connection just flat out doesn't work. I can connect to the router but its always with limited connectivity. Now I've tried different ports and different cables with no luck. I'm able to connect with the same cable to another computer so its obviously a problem with this network card/computer.

Any ideas?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 22 June 2009 - 01:30 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

If it just happened after you used a registry cleaner, my guess is that it's more likely a key component was deleted for the NIC to connect. The simplest thing to try would be to uninstall/reinstall the NIC from Device Manager. Was the cleaner a free service, or one you paid for?

#3 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

I used a free cleaner, I actually found it listed on a post on either this forum or techguy on a topic simular to this.

Ok I don't know where the cds for my nics are, do you know where I can get these from, or do you where I can get some instructions for reinstalling these in general, thanks for the help.

#4 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

You might be able to simply re-install the device driver (from the manufacturer of your computer or NIC) which will re-instate the registry key. Judging from your post, I'm not sure if you have an Intel or Linksys NIC. You can find the details of it either in ipconfig (run>cmd>ipconfig /all), or in Device Manager. I can try to help you find the device driver if needed.

Edit: I asked if it was free because many are known for installing maleware. If it was from here, it's probably safe.

--DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT ACCESS TO THE NEW DRIVER--
You will have to get the driver from the manufacture or the NIC or the computer before uninstalling or you will not be able to get internet.

Start > Right-Click My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right-Click your adapter > Uninstall. Then restart your computer, a wizard should come up for re-installing your NIC. If not, you can follow the same steps, except instead of having your network adapter it will be a question mark.

Edited by Ingle, 22 June 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#5 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

The wireless card is a linksys.

I'm not sure about the wired card it came stock with my dell. I'll get you the ipconfig results in a few hours when I get home. Thanks again

#6 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANDY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-17-99-E8-85
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
?
?
?
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 22, 2009 9:52:42 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:52:42 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy>

#7 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Now I really screwed things up. I was trying to find out what version I had of my nic and I had to pull my nic out. Now my computer doesn't recognize my linksys wireless card. I'm unable to get online because my wire nic still always says limited connection. Any ideas?

#8 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

Ok so I bought a new wireless card and I still can't get online. Whenever I reboot my computer I get "generic host process for win32 services" can't be started.

#9 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Well that's certainly interesting. Did you always have the error message, or did it just start with the new card?

Try going to Start > Run > services.msc > scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and make sure that service is started. You can also try Wired AutoConfig for your wired.

These links might help as well.

Service Pack 3
If you have/had an HP printer
Service Pack 2

Edited by Ingle, 23 June 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#10 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

Ok I was able to get the wireless to work. I did some registry edits from some guides I found on Google.

I only started getting these errors after I ran that original registry editor, which was supposed to help with networking issues. Since then I also installed SP3 since it was supposed to help remedy these problems.

The generic host process issue seems to be resolved right now. I'm able to get online with my new wireless card. I would still like my old one to work as I plan to return this new one. Right now I have the drivers for my linksys NIC but it won't allow me to install since they are already installed. I don't know how to uninstall because the NIC isn't show in the device list right now.

I also would like to figure out whats going on with the wired. I uninstalled the cards drivers and installed an update but I still get errors. Right now it keeps trying to acquire a network address. When I go to repair, it gets hung up on renewing the IP address. TCP/IP was also the process that was crashing when I was getting generic host process errors so I believe its a problem with my system rather than the actual card.

Thanks again, appreciate all the help

#11 appage21

appage21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well it looks like I spoke too soon. I can't connect anymore and I got another generic host problem. It says the file getting tripped up is svchost and ntdll.dll.

#12 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Honestly, since problems keep creeping up (and so you can return the new card) I recommend repairing your system. Reinstalling if repairing doesn't work.

Get your original Windows disk, backup the files you want to keep, boot from the disc repair. Follow this article for how to repair Windows XP

If repairing doesn't work, a fresh install should work. Follow the same steps, except reformat your partition and install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users