Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

query about memory or virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Why i don't have C:\pagefile.sys on my computer since when formated? If i change Virtual memory paging file size to minimum size of 4096mb and maximum size of 4096, my physical ram is only 512mb ddr2 400hz. Is it ok or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

<<Why i don't have C:\pagefile.sys on my computer since when formated?>>

Is it on a different partition?

<<If i change Virtual memory paging file size to minimum size of 4096mb and maximum size of 4096, my physical ram is only 512mb ddr2 400hz. Is it ok or not?>>

Not sure what "it" refers to.

IMO...users should just let XP manage the pagefile size...I have found no advantage from any other arrangement (and I've tried several).

How much RAM is physically installed in this system?

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

MS recommends the swap file size be ,
Minimum = 1 1\2 times the amount of installed memor
Maximum = 2 times the installed memory.

If you have 512MB installed the the minimum should be 768MB & the max 1024MB.

I have one I've been working on with 512MB in it.
I'm booting it eo see what the system defaults for the swap file are for sure.

It shows exactly what I posted.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

<<Why i don't have C:\pagefile.sys on my computer since when formated?>>

Is it on a different partition?

<<If i change Virtual memory paging file size to minimum size of 4096mb and maximum size of 4096, my physical ram is only 512mb ddr2 400hz. Is it ok or not?>>

Not sure what "it" refers to.

IMO...users should just let XP manage the pagefile size...I have found no advantage from any other arrangement (and I've tried several).

How much RAM is physically installed in this system?

Louis

No, i only have one hard drive and one partitioned.

I'm just asking if i should have a critical problem on my hardware or on system if i set the paging file size to that value.

I only have 512mb of physical ram ddr2 400hz.

And guys, how would i know if my computer used a pagefile? Because I observed on my task manager in pagefile usage history is flat out.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

I would bet it is there in c:\, but you just don't see it in Explorer or whatever you are using to look for it because it is a hidden, system file.

You can change your folder view options to see the hidden files, but sometimes the hidden system files confuse people with things they really don't need to see and tempts them to do things with the files they later regret.

The best advice to avoid trouble was to let Windows handle the pagefile.

To see how things are set up, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual memory, Change and take a look.

System managed size is the best choice, so I would leave it at that. Windows knows what's best for you :thumbsup:

The Task Manager Page File Usage History with a straight line is normal most of the time. It will change as the memory usage on the system changes.

Edited by joseibarra, 22 June 2009 - 02:00 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

I would bet it is there in c:\, but you just don't see it in Explorer or whatever you are using to look for it because it is a hidden, system file.

You can change your folder view options to see the hidden files, but sometimes the hidden system files confuse people with things they really don't need to see and tempts them to do things with the files they later regret.

The best advice to avoid trouble was to let Windows handle the pagefile.

To see how things are set up, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual memory, Change and take a look.

System managed size is the best choice, so I would leave it at that. Windows knows what's best for you :thumbsup:

The Task Manager Page File Usage History with a straight line is normal most of the time. It will change as the memory usage on the system changes.

Its already show hidden files and folders but i don't found it, even if i searched with advanced option show hidden files and folders.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Oops!

In addition to choosing to show hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files" box and accept the warning message. You may have to refresh your view.

What did you discover under the settings?

What radio buttons are selected? Is it set to System managed size?

Hopefully "No paging file" is not checked.

Edited by joseibarra, 22 June 2009 - 04:27 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Oops!

What did you discover under the settings?

What radio buttons are selected? Is it set to System managed size?

Hopefully "No paging file" is not checked.

What do you mean by radio buttons? But when i uncheck the unprotected file i saw this:

Posted Image

But unfortunately i don't know what radio buttons means, and it seems that i did not found a file with a check. Can you elaborate please. Thanks...

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

The pagefile is right there on your screenshot...last item, left column.

The file extension (.sys) isn't reflected.

To see that...click on Tools/Folder Options...View tab. Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types.

Louis

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

That's it!

:thumbsup:

I am strictly a details person...

Edited by joseibarra, 22 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Me too :thumbsup:.

I was trying to figure out what that icon was so I looked at the writing :flowers:.

Louis

#12 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

:thumbsup:
Funny stuff Louis.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Save all the problem. Stick some ram in it. IMHO 512 just don't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users