Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

local area connection - limited or no connectivity.. am I screwed?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hey guys. Recently my compaq presario v6000 is not letting me connect to the Internet with the ethernet cable plugged in. I tried flushing DNS, renew and release the IP address, repair the IP address, and I still don't get anything. I don't know what else to do to fix this problem. I used someone e;se's notebook (macbook pro with windows xp) and my internet worked like a charm. I know I may be flamed for this but I did search all over the forum and nothing is working for me. Can it be that my ethernet inside is damaged? Here is the information on my ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\isaura1>
C:\Documents and Settings\isaura1>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Isaura
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-68-15-D8-AC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.107.236
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-A1-75-21
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 22, 2009 8:43:23 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 29, 2009 8:43:23 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\isaura1>

Please help me I'll appreciate it so much. I will also try and run a live ubuntu cd to make sure if the ethernet is working. I guess that can help right? Well, please help me through the time being, thanks.

**UPDATE** I ran a ubuntu live cd and the ethernet still doesn't work. Pleasr help me. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by djvic87, 22 June 2009 - 11:24 AM.
Moved from XP to Networking~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Have you tried using another computer to download the most recent update for the network card?
Is your router wireless?
Are you able to get internet with the wireless? If your router isn't wireless, can you get internet at a coffee shop?
What's the specific model of your notebook? I looked it up and it pulls up 10 different versions.

#3 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Did you try reinstalling the drivers for the network card?

#4 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

no

#5 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

he said he tried a live CD and it didn't work - that leads me to believe the hardware is defective.

#6 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

external NIC maybe??

#7 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

he said he tried a live CD and it didn't work - that leads me to believe the hardware is defective.

It could be, but it's worth ruling out the software issues before having to buy new hardware. In the last few minutes I just resolved an issue where the LAN wouldn't work and it just required me to update and restart.

Since djvic87 admitted to not trying any of what we asked, it's worth a shot. Try reinstalling the most recent drivers and give us some more information with what happens. You're not screwed, worst case scenario would be that your board's NIC is shot somehow and if you choose to go the cheap and easy way, it's about $60 for one that slides into your adapter slot.

#8 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

Have you tried using another computer to download the most recent update for the network card?
Is your router wireless?
Are you able to get internet with the wireless? If your router isn't wireless, can you get internet at a coffee shop?
What's the specific model of your notebook? I looked it up and it pulls up 10 different versions.

The one I am using is a presario v6000. But under the laptop it says v6700. The wireless does work. I am going to try to update the card with an update driver. The only problem is that the specific model is not listed in the website.

The name of the card is called Realtek RT8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC

**UPDATE** On top of the chassis, on a sticker it says v6741US. I can't find any exact driver of the ethernet card

**UPDATE** I installed the latest update which is sp38329.exe from HP and I still don't get anything. I guess the ethernet is defective. What's funny is how it does detect cable as when it is trying to connect. It is also weird when it even knows that I disconnected the cable "a network cable is unplugged" yeah, like I did need to know that... Any other suggestions? or am i SOL?

Edited by djvic87, 22 June 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#9 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

i had a problem like this last week now that i think about it - it was on a compaq laptop - the solution - go to the device manager and uninstall the network device, restart the computer then reinstall the driver (if you can find it)

#10 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Uninstalling and reinstalling might just solve the problem. I might also recommend trying either the driver I pulled up off the Compaq site for the 6741US (dated 2008) or trying the Windows XP driver from the Realtek website (dated 2009) for the RT8139/810X family of NICs.

I like to exhaust all options before considering myself doomed. I hope one of the above works for you.

#11 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

I tried it already. I guess the NIC shall RIP. It was worth the shot but nothing. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

#12 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

oh the irony.

a week after you posted this thread - and i replied, i got a call from a friend - said he had a client that couldn't connect to the network, kept saying the cable was unplugged. i exhausted EVERYTHING on this one - tried different cables at both the patch panel and the workstation, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, even tried using a XP restore point - just as I was about to give up and throw in the towel, I went back to the patch panel and noticed that this particular workstation had 2 ports (A & :flowers: and as soon as I mentioned this to the receptionist, she said, "well the doctor was under there last week and when he sees something he doesn't like, he usually takes it upon himself to "fix it" to his liking" low and behold - he plugged the cable into the B jack not the A jack after he unplugged EVERYTHING and zip tied all the cables together!!!!!
not saying this could be your problem, but ask yourself questions like- what was the last thing that was done on the workstation when it stopped working - I was told there was a 4 year old banging on the keyboard over the weekend, so i suspected a possible infection, or something that required a system restore - and much to my dismay, it was the doctor not putting everything back "the way he found it" when he was done!!!!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users