Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couple of problems with Win98 (folders wont open,etc)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rita B

Rita B

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:28 PM

Ok, the problem happened was when I ran Spybot's "System Internals". I ran the tool and then clicked the "fix" button. After a reboot, that was when I saw all the harm it did to the comp. Whenever I click on a folder/recyclebin/My Computer the following message appears:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options

I can get into these folders with no problems going through Windows Explorer. But when I click on the right pane of Explorer that message appears. I have to break down the explorer tree to get in the folder.

Also, I can't drag/drop any items. I did reinstall the intellimouse drivers but nothing.

What happened was that tool in Spybot killed all of the file associations. I have already created associations manually but I don't know how to do it for opening folders/bin. I restored other file associations by opening up programs and going through preferences to associate them. I did that to irfanview and then I was able to open up all of my jpg/bmp/other image files. If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Rita B

P.S Quick question.......ummm..when you go to restore the registry, on one of the 5 dates to the left it says "Not Started". The other 4 says "Started". I don't know what means. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rita B, 04 July 2005 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:45 PM

I'll add this for now.To restore the registry you must have saved "exported" it earlier.That creates a file called restore.reg.
You obviosly are on a different PC and doing well there.
Transfer some of this knowledge to the other one.
A double click should open a "folder"no matter.It's not associated.
exe's,mp3 and mpg's are.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:46 AM

P.S Quick question.......ummm..when you go to restore the registry, on one of the 5 dates to the left it says "Not Started". The other 4 says "Started". I don't know what means. Thanks! 

Ignore the "Not Started" rb cab file and go with one of the "Started" ones. Not Started means it has a problem. Use the newest "Started" one that was created just before the problem happened. Try to save the older ones. If you use the oldest one first the rest will be deleted and then you have nothing to fall back on.

What is your operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Rita B

Rita B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

I'll add this for now.To restore the registry you must have saved "exported" it earlier.That creates a file called restore.reg.
You obviosly are on a different PC and doing well there.
Transfer some of this knowledge to the other one.
A double click should open a "folder"no matter.It's not associated.
exe's,mp3 and mpg's are.

I'm on the pc that's having this inconvenience . I call it a "inconvenience" because it's not really a problem to me. I can do everything I used to do before. I just can't drag/drop, open folders/bin/my computer by double clicking. So you can't associate opening folders? Darn. But, whenever I double click on a folder that file association error message I posted appears. :(

P.S Quick question.......ummm..when you go to restore the registry, on one of the 5 dates to the left it says "Not Started". The other 4 says "Started". I don't know what means. Thanks! 

Ignore the "Not Started" rb cab file and go with one of the "Started" ones. Not Started means it has a problem. Use the newest "Started" one that was created just before the problem happened. Try to save the older ones. If you use the oldest one first the rest will be deleted and then you have nothing to fall back on.

What is your operating system?

My OS is Win98. Thanks for the explanation. The newest file I had that didn't have "Not Started" was made years ago. I never bothered to back my registry until yesterday. :( I did it because I was messing around with the pc alot and I was worried if I messed up something big, I would have that backup to fall on. But the newest backup says "Not Started". DOH!

Edited by Rita B, 05 July 2005 - 07:36 AM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

If you have the Win98 CD the easiest fix is to run Setup from that without formatting. You'll need to do the Windows updates afterwards but you won't lose anything.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Rita B

Rita B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:14 AM

If you have the Win98 CD the easiest fix is to run Setup from that without formatting. You'll need to do the Windows updates afterwards but you won't lose anything.

Hi!

Yeah, I have the win98cd but I'm worried. If I run setup from the win98 cd, will I lose the drivers for my cable modem, burner, video/audio card and other stuff? Will I have to re-install drivers? Or will it be like before? Thanks! :thumbsup:

P.S Will this create a new registry or will it keep the one I have?

Edited by Rita B, 06 July 2005 - 08:25 AM.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:12 AM

You won't lose your drivers but you may have to reinstall a couple of programs. A new registry will be created. Windows updates will take a while if you are on dialup but will need to be done as 98 will only be as current as the date the CD was written.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users