Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SillyAutorun.RN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TodoMartinez

TodoMartinez

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

I need help with removing SillyAutorun.RN which is infecting my USB drives everytime I insert them. I have no problem cleaning up the USB drives because CA virus scanner removes the infection when I click on Safely Remove Hardware, or I take the drives to a Linux computer and simply delete the autorun.inf file and the recycler folder. Anyway, the infection is on my C-drive and the CA virus scanner does not find the infection on my computer. It seems silly (no pun intended) that my CA virus scanner removes the virus from my USB drives, but leaves the infection on the computer.

-At wits end

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

From what you describe, it appears to be a USB flash drive infection which usually involve malware that modifies and loads an autorun.inf (text-based configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When removable media such as a CD/DVD is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. In USB drives, it modifies Windows Explorer's right-click context menu (adds a new default command) and redirects to executing the malicious file if the "Open" command is used or double-clicking on the drive icon. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled. To learn more about this risk, please read:Please insert your flash drive before we begin. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to bypass the autorun feature and keep autorun.inf from executing automatically.

Then download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop and a folder named USBVaccine will be created.
  • Open that folder and double-click on USBVaccine.exe to start the program.
  • Click Run.
  • Click the button to Vaccinate computer..
  • Insert your USB flash drive.
  • When the name of the drive appears in the dialog box, click the button to Vaccinate USB drive(s).
  • Exit the program when done
Note: Computer Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced by malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.38) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

** If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware results in any error messages, please refer to Fixes for common problems and Error Codes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 TodoMartinez

TodoMartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for assisting me. My computer is still infecting USB drives and Panda can't seem to vaccinate USB drives. But, it shows that it vaccinated my computer.

Here are the results of my Malwarebytes' Scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2325
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/23/2009 2:47:14 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-23 (14-47-14).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 96532
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\taskman (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 TodoMartinez

TodoMartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

I restarted my computer and re-scanned it. This is the new log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2325
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/23/2009 4:30:21 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-23 (16-30-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 231495
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 15 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\taskman (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

Please insert your flash drive before we begin. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to bypass the autorun feature and keep autorun.inf from executing automatically.

Then download Flash_Disinfector by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run the tool and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • If asked to insert your USB flash drive and other removable drives, please do so and allow the utility to clean up them as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to download the Full version Free Trial, just ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete..
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users