Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verifying DMI Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pitlatch

Pitlatch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

So today I was helping a friend to recover some information off his laptop that crashed due to him deleting some system files by mistake.

Long and the short is that he bought an external HD I was going to install an operating system to so I could boot from it and save his pictures blah blah.
When I would attempt to boot to this HD it would say HD corrupt and fail during boot-up and end in a blue screen of death.
I reran the system disk and deleted the partition. To try it on my computer thinking maybe his internal HD was corrupt.
I ran the system install on my desktop and when i plugged it back into his computer same thing. So now im thinking either the External HD is corrupt or the XP Home CD is. So I also have a version of Vista that I was going to try. These are both legal copies mind you I have both Original Boxes. This time on my desktop i go boot from CD and it freezes when is should be loading Vista install.

Meh ok reboot remove the external HD so that I can use my computer to play games while his laptop loads Vista and my computer Wont get past Verifying DMI pool. Remove all CD's and the external HD and reboot still nothing. Set Bios to default to no avail. Reset CMOS on Motherboard with the jumper and set last good log in- No luck. Reset jumper again, go back 5 previous attempts and still nothing. Reset jumper one last time to set to default with fail-safe bios loaded nothing. Really unsure where to go from here.. I Can get the computer to boot to CD so I can just start over but dont really want to. Would like to know exactly where I went wrong so it doesnt happen again.

This is the 4th computer i've build and the newest. Build in February of this year

Gigabyte GA-3p43-DS3L MOBO
Pentium 2.8 Processor
Maxtor Sata 150Gig HD
Nvidea Geforce 285
730watt power supply
Artic Cooling Fan
DVD/CD
Floppy

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Do I understand you correctly?
You are trying to install an OS on a remote enclosure or does the hard drive already have the OS and you're using the enclosure to get the files off of the drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Pitlatch

Pitlatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

The external HD didn't have anything on it, I was installing XP on it so I could boot up his computer and transfer files to it.

The desktop computer not wont boot from CD, it freezes with Vista and freezes with XP. Think it may be time to buy a new HD mine had been making strange noises for a while but thought it was just the HD i had bought.

Edit: Just went through some checks and found my harddrive in my desktop wasn't functioning at all. So i removed and replaced with an old one.

Now just need to figure out how to load an OS onto the external HD.

Edited by Pitlatch, 22 June 2009 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users