Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost in outer space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 car 54

car 54

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

i have tried to reinstall windows xp pro twice.in the directions i used it said i would be ask for the product key.but i never was and it installed windows anyway but some things were not right so i tried to reinstall again and right away it ask for the product key,when i type it in it says it`s invalid.i have tried the xp pro sp3 reinstall disk on 2 computers and used 2 different product keys and get the same results.can someone explain this and tell me what to do? any help is welcome,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

Hi Car54,

Sorry you are still having problems. Sounds like you actually got it formatted this time though.

You said you have tried this disk on two computers, you can only put it on one if you are using the same product key. You said you have two product keys, where did the product keys come from? Have either of them ever been used to activate Windows before? Was one of them used on the computer you have been having problems with before you reinstalled Windows?

You need to make sure you are typing the key exactly right, not sure if it automatically makes all letters capitals or not but if it does not, then make sure you are if they are suppose to be capitals

Edited by Stang777, 23 June 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#3 Tyler Sweet

Tyler Sweet

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

We've run into similar problems where I work. From what we can tell, Keys for Windows XP SP2 won't work on Windows XP SP3 installations. Make sure the key you have is for SP3, or else use a SP2 CD and then use Microsoft Update to get to the most recent version. Also, use the key that came with your CD, or with your computer. Chances are it has a sticker on it somewhere that says the Key, and if it's for Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

FWIW:

<<Keys for Windows XP SP2 won't work on Windows XP SP3 installations.>>

This is incorrect. The key for an XP install does not change just because the SP-level changes.

As for attempting a repair install with a Microsoft XP install CD...XP will not allow a repair of a system currently at SP3 or SP2...via a CD which reflects a lower level of critical updates (SP2, SP1, SP0). To overcome this, users need to create slipstreamed, updated install CDs which reflect the current level of SP on the XP system.

A clean install can be accomplished with any SP-level CD...since a clean install is made on a system/drive without any level of XP (after formatting).

I find that the easiest way to create a slipstreamed CD is to use the nLite application...but there are any number of sites which will guide a user wanting to do such.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...SP3&aqi=g10

Louis

#5 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

thanks,everyone for responding.

the product keys i used are the one`s on the sticker on the computers.

this is where i`am at with this computer,when i put the cd in.the welcome screen ask what i want to do. i click install windows xp it ask for product key. i type it, it says invalid. that`s as far as i can go[list=1]
[/listwhen i put the cd in and boot it by hitting any key it goes into setup.it will install windows xp but has a lot of problems.
yesterday when i booted it up,i had a choice of c or d operating system. now i only have c, the d files are still on the computer. i just can`t access them.is there a way to put the d back on the menu or should i delete it and reformat it and reinstall it?....thanks to all.]

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

if you are doing a clean install ... boot from the disk and delete all partitions ... install windows in the unpartitioned space... if install fails again it could be a hardware fault... test hard drive ... test ram.

#7 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

.is there a way to put the d back on the menu or should i delete it and reformat it and reinstall it?....thanks to all.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users