Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Foxit pdf reader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

I found this info. posted by jeffholman.

also, for everyone else, my computer kinda sucks and adobe acrobat really hogs memory. i've found that the free foxit pdf reader works about 10 times faster for just reading .pdf files.

@ jeffholman - LOL Mine too. I am quite interested in the free foxit pdf reader. Does it work on ME. I find one reference where it does and one where it does not. :thumbsup:

Requirements text taken from page you have linked to.

Foxit PDF Reader runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003.

Requirements text taken from the sites products page.

PDF Reader for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 new! free!

Has anyone else heard of this? I would be interested in any thoughts/opinions regarding this.

Thanks everyone. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 04 July 2005 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:02 AM

Free Foxit PDF

This thread has eiether been overlooked. :thumbsup: Or maybe no one else has had any experience with Free Foxit pdf reader. I am very interested in this. If it would save on the limited memory that I have. It would be wonderful.

1 MB versus 22.9 MB

I do not use Adobe's Acrobat all that often.
When Gooling for infomation, and there is the "view in HTML" option available I use it. :flowers:
Adobe takes eons to load. So it is a pain. Of course, there are cases when I have no choice but to use it.

I have the .zip file saved to my desktop. If I decide to install it. Should I uninstall Adobe first?

Any thoughts would be apprieciated. I have read some good reviews on this. But I would very much like some opinions from the members here. :trumpet:

Thanks, Scarlett

Edited by Scarlett, 09 July 2005 - 08:05 AM.

Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

You shouldn't have to uninstall Adobe AR, Scarlett, if you want to try the alternative. I would be interested in your opinion, if you want to be our guinea-pig.
Cheers,
John

Well I had some time this morning, and downloaded and tried it on an ME version. While it is simpler than Adobe, Scarlett, I compared it with AAR using the same document ( A PEW report about 110 Kbs) and the text quality, etc. is just as good, and it opens faster. I didn't try printing, so cannot say how that works, nor did I see how well it opened documents direcly from the NET; using "find text" can be time-consuming, as you have to open the dialogue box each time and type in the word, whilst Adoble will give you a list of all occourances of the word or phrase.
Bottom line. If all you ever want is to be able to read a small PDF file, then this will do the job quite well, and save a LOT of hard drive space.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 July 2005 - 07:49 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

You are to funny, jg. :thumbsup:
But what happens when I attempt to open a pdf doc.? Which would open it? Will I be given a choice? Like when I open pdf doc.'s from the web, Adobe automatically opens them.

Edited by Scarlett, 09 July 2005 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

You can make it the default, Scarlett. If you want to change back, you can do so but you have to use Adobe to change it back.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users