Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hg167

hg167

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

hello, i am replacing my PC with a lap top. my internet is cable wired and i thought i'd just need to plug in a router and away i go with my wireless (in home use only). but i've got an ADSL modem/router in one and can't plug it in to my wall because it's cable. can i use the ADSL router and plug it into the cable modem i've already got via the ethernet ports? your advice really appreciated - from HG167

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

You'll have to get a wireless router itself. An ADSL router is more of a router/modem combination (guessing you had DSL at one point?), and you aren't able to combine DSL and Cable. The two aren't compatible with each other.

#3 hg167

hg167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

thanks for your reply, Ingle. my modem/router in one is a wireless router and i want to have net access via WiFi on my new lap top. Are you saying that i cannot connect the ADSL modem/router into my cable modem to enable me to have wireless net access?

#4 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

Correct. You'll have to get a wireless router itself that isn't combined into a modem. This is a decent wireless router.

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yes, you'll have to get a wireless router that receives its signal from your cable router.

Just for reference, here's a link about setting up your wireless network: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928429.

Also, here are a couple of MSFT recommended wireless routers: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...eless%20Routers.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

thanks for your reply, Ingle. my modem/router in one is a wireless router and i want to have net access via WiFi on my new lap top. Are you saying that i cannot connect the ADSL modem/router into my cable modem to enable me to have wireless net access?

Which is wireless? The old cable modem/router? or your new ADSL modem/router? If its the old then the posts here are correct you'll need a wireless router. Since your ADSL has a router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users